If you’re a solutions-oriented engineer with strong data organization skills and a deep desire to make the world better for families — we’re looking for you.
We strongly encourage you to apply if this role and our mission sound interesting to you, even if you are not sure you meet all of the qualifications. We are interested in a wide variety of experiences and backgrounds.
A LITTLE ABOUT US
We serve over 3 million subscribers with content across several platforms and channels (Facebook/Instagram Messenger, SMS, Email, TikTok, Instagram, and web) and reach tens of millions of parents each year through viral content, influencer partnerships, and earned media. We use those same channels to organize parents to speak out in favor of economic justice, pandemic relief, public education, affordable childcare, kids’ health, racial justice, online safety, and other important priorities. You can learn more about our work on our website, Instagram and Tiktok.
As an organization, we work collaboratively to solve challenges together. We have a positive, low-ego, low-drama work culture. All of us love our work and are driven to help ParentsTogether succeed. Our strategic framework is based on lean startup principles. We try out ideas quickly, see what works, and iterate.
ABOUT THE ROLE
ParentsTogether’s superpower is reaching parents with practical digital information and civic engagement actions that help improve their families’ lives. To support and organize parents at scale, we employ a unique strategy that combines timely, relevant parenting content with issue education, voter engagement and cutting-edge campaigning.
Our platform approach, rooted in lean startup methodology, makes all of this possible. We are highly experimental, using existing tools where we can, but stitching them together in new and powerful ways. We use listening techniques, from a/b testing to surveys to direct outreach, to make sure we’re addressing parents’ needs and meeting them where they are.
The core focus of this role is to develop and improve our technical and data infrastructure — with creativity, flexibility and a willingness to hack tools together — in order to achieve ParentsTogether’s goals for growth, revenue, and impact. This role will work closely with the Product Director to define and achieve goals, processes and best practices.
Here’s some of the awesome stuff you’ll do:
- Improve our user database. Improve the way we store and organize user data and make it available to applications. Devise a storage and infrastructure solution that can support future actions and products.
- Lead and transform our platform and data access. Hack together homegrown systems that allow our team to quickly access data from different platforms while preserving data integrity.
- Support experiments to yield breakthroughs in growth and engagement through efficient data organization and reporting.
- Improve how we integrate with third-party apps like Chatfuel, Mailchimp, TextIt, and Action Network. Align data organization and usage across these platforms to improve operational efficiency, stability, and security.
- Ensure user data is managed in a secure, privacy-aware manner. Maintain data security and privacy across operations in alignment with current best practices.
- Hold an overall vision for how ParentsTogether can maximize impact by adapting and utilizing emerging and advanced data collection, storage and analytics technologies - including emerging technologies like AI and machine learning.
- Collaborate across teams to identify opportunities for data-driven impact in existing and to-be-developed products.
You’ll likely be a great fit if you:
- Have 3+ years of data engineering experience, successfully guiding the development of products and platform features
- Have 2 years of experience with at least one general-purpose programming language, ideally Python and SQL
- Have experience managing and hacking together APIs and platform integrations
- Have managed a large dataset and understand best practices for data management
- Are interested in and stay up-to-date on platform and data tools and technologies
- Take initiative and can move efficiently and quickly to meet opportunities as needed
- Think experimentally and can take a learning approach to our work
- Are excited to figure out how to reach and understand the needs of millions of parents
- Can thrive in a self-motivated workspace, with tons of opportunity for innovation and plenty of stuff that still needs to be figured out
- Are able to communicate technical information (written, verbally, and visually) to a less technical internal audience
- Are aligned with the ParentsTogether’s values and care about transforming the lives of children and families
- Big plus: Experience with data from social media, traditional media, online education, digital advocacy, or marketing
This is a full-time role. Salary ranges from $125,000 to $150,000, depending on experience.
Location: Remote/flexible - Schedule and geography are flexible as long as you are generally available 12 PM - 5 PM ET on most weekdays.
Benefits include health insurance (with cost-share for dependents) for employees working > 75% time, three weeks of vacation (plus holidays and the last week of the calendar year off), paid family and sick leave, retirement match after four months on staff, and an FSA account. This position is considered exempt.
This position reports to the product director, and works closely with the product team, several firms and consultants.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We encourage interested candidates to apply by May 19, 2023. We will begin the first round of interviews during the week of May 22nd. Please apply on our Career Page only and include the following:
- Resume or CV
- Link to portfolio, website or project repository
- Submit answers to the following questions
- What about this position was appealing to you and why ParentsTogether?
- Describe a time when you found an effective way to collect, store, organize and/or access data to help a team transform their work.
At ParentsTogether, we have an intersectional analysis and believe that building a multiracial, cross-class parent movement is non-negotiable. We are actively working to build a diverse team of staff and contractors; people of color, people from poor and working-class backgrounds, LGBTQ folks, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate based on gender, race, national origin, disability, age, religion, sexual orientation, or gender expression.
Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.