Chief Technology Officer
Equal Opportunity Schools
Equal Opportunity Schools seeks an innovative, equity-driven Chief Technology Officer. We are a national not-for-profit organization with a mission to ensure that students of color and low-income students have equal access to America’s most academically challenging high school programs, and that they succeed at the highest levels. This new position offers the right candidate the opportunity to transform the way we use technology to serve students in nearly 350 active public high schools nationwide and provide leadership to achieve our next phase of scale. We are looking for candidates with the ability to oversee the design, development, and implementation of our software to meet current demands and to lay the foundation for the future. Through our own online, web-based student information system, our robust reporting infrastructure, and our equity-driven data and analytics, the use of technology strategies is deeply embedded in our work.
Equal Opportunity Schools is a rapidly growing, continuously improving organization with a mission-driven team. We seek candidates who are eager to apply their technology and leadership skills to support opportunities for students of color and low-income students in public high schools across the country. We want candidates who share our desire to be innovative leaders in the use of technology, software, and data focused on mission-driven work to transform public education.
As Chief Technology Officer you will provide the leadership and tools to enable our national, equity-driven organization to achieve our next phase of scale. Technology and data analysis are key to our ability to improve access for traditionally underrepresented students in academically rigorous high school programs. This leadership role reports to the CEO.
In general, in this role you will provide leadership in the following areas:
- Driving company and technical strategies around the innovative use of technology to improve access to a high-quality education for traditionally underrepresented students
- Building and managing a strong and diverse software development team with skills in design, engineering, data science, data security, and product management
- Working collaboratively with internal teams and our clients to scope and prioritize software development
- Building a culture and tools around measuring progress and success
- Experience in a startup or other environment with rapid growth and/or change
- Experience with equity, public schools and/or mission-driven work preferred
- Experience with a broad range of software development technologies, including AWS, SQL, Ruby on Rails (or similar frameworks), and reporting/analytics technologies (such as Tableau)
- Experience working and managing across a range of technical skills, including design, engineering, data science, and product management
- Experience hiring and managing technical teams
- Ability to work well with many non-technical stakeholders, including management, sales, and customer success teams
- Exceptionally self-motivated and directed with the ability to demonstrate sound judgment even in ambiguous or rapidly changing situations
- The ability to effectively manage and communicate the balance between customer expectations and operational capacity.
- A hands-on leader with a high level of integrity and ethics with the ability to work within and maintain our company core values
This job might be for you if:
- You are committed to equity. You steadfastly believe that all students – particularly students of color and low-income students – should have opportunities to access and succeed in the most academically rigorous high school programs. You understand that working for equity is a continual journey and you are motivated by a passion for that journey.
- You enjoy working collaboratively with others. You recognize that working with a diverse team of individuals with varying roles and skills can be challenging, but you enjoy this challenge. You work to find creative solutions to best fit a wide range of contexts, needs, uses, and timelines.
- You love to learn and grow. You are always looking to improve and to develop new skills, and welcome constructive feedback that helps you get there. You’re excited to learn from other perspectives that will inform your thinking and to contribute to others’ learning.
- You are comfortable working in a dynamic, growing organization. Equal Opportunity Schools has experienced incredible growth and success in our 10+ years of existence, but we don’t have it all figured out. You’re excited to take on the challenges that come with a relatively young organization, evolving internal systems and structures, and long-term visions that are still works in progress.
How to Apply
Please apply here: https://www.ziprecruiter.com/job/28c3689e