In accordance with our Equity Commitment, NTEN is dedicated to providing a safe and welcoming experience for everyone. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment in any form.
This Code of Conduct applies to all NTEN spaces, including, but not limited to, NTEN’s online community platform, online and in-person trainings, social media, Nonprofit Technology Conference, and Nonprofit Tech Club events. Anyone who violates this Code of Conduct may be sanctioned or expelled from these spaces at the discretion of NTEN.
Some NTEN spaces may have additional rules in place, which will be made clearly available to participants. Participants are responsible for knowing and abiding by these rules.
Inappropriate behavior includes, but is not limited to:
- Discriminatory actions or offensive comments related to race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, and other aspects of identity.
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person’s lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, drugs, and employment.
- Deliberate misgendering or use of “dead” or rejected names.
- Gratuitous or off-topic sexual images or behavior in spaces where they’re not appropriate.
- Physical contact without consent or after a request to stop.
- Threats of violence.
- Incitement of violence towards any individual, including encouraging a person to commit suicide or to engage in self-harm.
- Deliberate intimidation.
- Stalking or following.
- Harassing photography or recording, including logging online activity for harassment purposes.
- Sustained disruption of discussion.
- Unwelcome sexual attention.
- Patterns of inappropriate social contact, such as requesting or assuming inappropriate levels of intimacy with others.
- Continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease.
- Deliberate “outing” of any aspect of a person’s identity without their consent, except as necessary to protect vulnerable people from intentional abuse.
- Publication of non-harassing private communication.
If you experience harassment or discrimination in an NTEN space, notice that someone else is experiencing harassment or discrimination, or have any other concerns, please contact NTEN via a direct or anonymous report.
Direct reports can be made by messaging NTEN at email@example.com or, if on-site, by contacting an NTEN staff member.
Anonymous reports can be made here: http://nten.wufoo.com/forms/nten-code-of-conduct-report-form/. We won’t be able to follow up with you directly, but we will fully investigate it and take whatever action is necessary to prevent a recurrence.
Participants asked to stop any inappropriate behavior are expected to comply immediately.
If a participant engages in inappropriate behavior, NTEN may take any action they deem appropriate, including warnings or expulsion from all NTEN spaces with no refund.
Revised: August 8, 2018
Attribution: This Code of Conduct is based on the example policy from the Geek Feminism wiki.