Information Technology Support Specialist
Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities (CBPP) is a high-caliber strategic policy institute that informs and shapes public policies to reduce poverty, promote equity, and build opportunity and engages on how to raise the revenues necessary to support public investments. It has a national reputation for conducting rigorous research and analysis, developing evidence-based policy ideas and strategies, shaping a broad array of policy debates at the federal and state levels, and influencing policy outcomes and program implementation. It focuses its efforts on improving the lives of people with low and moderate incomes and examines how policies affect particular groups, including people of color, immigrants, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ people. The Center is known for its unique capacity to blend rigorous, timely analysis with effective communications that enable policymakers and the media to make use of its work.
The Center is seeking an IT Support Specialist to work as part of a team of seven to provide internal day-to-day technical support to more than 150 end-users in a customer-oriented, responsive, team-driven, and efficient manner for all computer systems, hardware, and software-related issues, as well as assist the IT Department with ongoing design and maintenance of our IT services.
CBPP operates a cloud and premise-based infrastructure using Microsoft Server, VMWare, Okta, Microsoft 365, Microsoft Azure, Windows autopilot, TeamViewer, Adobe Creative Cloud, and Microsoft Intune Services. The Center operates Windows, Android, and IOS-based systems and supports on-premises and remote users.
While we are currently operating as a 100% virtual organization during the pandemic, we anticipate returning to a hybrid work environment that includes time for both telework and in-person work. This position will require some weekly in-person work to support AV and other IT needs while staff are in the office.
- Provide technical assistance and support for incoming queries and issues related to computer systems, software, copiers, printers, VoIP system, AV system, and hardware.
- Communicate effectively, listen actively, and translate complex, technical concepts into easy-to-understand language to assist non-technically-oriented customers.
- Provide troubleshooting, software installation, Azure and Active Directory configurations, computer configurations, and mobile device support.
- Help the IT Department execute various IT initiatives. This includes implementing features in Azure Active Directory, Intune, Microsoft Teams, One Drive, SharePoint, Microsoft 365, TeamViewer, consolidating third-party services, and various internal/external network configurations.
- Provide timely and supportive responses to queries in person, over the phone, or through remote desktop.
- Take ownership of issues and follow through issues until resolved. Exercise excellent judgment as to when higher-level support is needed and issues should be escalated.
- Update all assigned tickets daily and communicate with management on the progress of assigned tasks.
- Maintain daily performance of computer systems through TeamViewer, help maintain documentation on desktop procedures, and provide occasional end-user instructional sessions and how-to documentation.
- Procure and deploy hardware for new employees configuring new end-user devices using Windows autopilot.
- Support and maintain telecom services (Internet, Wi-Fi, VoIP).
- Properly escalate unresolved queries to the next level of support.
- Assist in determining staff training needs, conduct new users’ IT onboarding, and contribute to the development, presentation, and maintenance of training materials to resolve issues.
- Utilize diagnostic utilities and remote assistance tools to aid in troubleshooting.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with other teams to validate solutions, verify with users, and coach them in correcting reported problems as appropriate.
- Set up and manage the Audio-Visual system for conferences.
- Set up and manage accounts in Active Directory and Azure.
- Perform testing in the DevLab for any new hardware, software, and applications that need to be deployed at the Center.
- Actively participate in training and technical skill development and earn IT certifications necessary to build expertise and to keep current on new developments.
- Must be able to lift and move equipment up to 50 pounds in weight.
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience, providing workstation support, end-user support, troubleshooting computer equipment, resolving end-user applications, and troubleshooting network connectivity issues.
- Strong customer service skills and ability to effectively listen and communicate orally and in writing, including the ability to communicate complex technical information to a non-technical audience.
- A minimum of 2 years experience in supporting a diverse group of users.
- Ability to troubleshoot and resolve technical problems for users remotely.
- Skill in handling multiple competing priorities and adapting to changes in workload, including writing and editing technical documentation, managing tickets against SLA, and staying current with assigned work.
- Hardware and software experience including Intel-based laptops, and tablets, printers, AV system, VoIP, Android and IOS-based mobile devices, Windows Server 2016-2019, Windows 10, Microsoft 365, and Adobe Creative Cloud Suite.
- Networking experience including knowledge of TCP/IP and DNS.
- Understanding of Active Directory, Azure Cloud Computing, Intune, and Firewalls.
- Experience identifying security-related issues such as system hacks, computer viruses, phishing attempts, and spyware.
- Ability to work extended and flexible hours, including some weekends and evenings.
- Commitment to the Center’s mission to improve the well-being of low- and moderate-income people and advance racial equity as part of the Center’s work.
The following qualifications are a plus:
- A+, Network+, Security +, Microsoft 365 certification or equivalent certifications are preferred.
- Experience with the nonprofit sector.
This position reports to the IT Operations Manager.
Terms of Employment: Full-time, Exempt.
Bargaining Unit Status: This is a bargaining unit position.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience, excellent benefits (including health insurance, vision and dental coverage, life and long-term disability insurance, retirement, MERP, and DCAP), and generous vacation, sick leave, and holiday schedules.
The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and welcomes diversity in the workplace and strongly encourages all qualified persons to apply regardless of race, color, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, credit information, pregnancy or parental status, family responsibilities, personal appearance, creed, military or veteran status, religion, ancestry or national origin, union activities, disability, or other status protected by applicable law.
How to Apply
Please upload a cover letter and resume. In your cover letter, please include a discussion of what draws you to the mission of the Center.