The Graphic Designer serves the vital role of communicating NTEN’s work to our community of nonprofit professionals. They will articulate and express information visually across a wide range of production items while maintaining a consistent style and tone. As a member of the NTEN team, the Graphic Designer shares in the overall responsibility for the direction of our work and delivery of our programs and services. Reporting to the Membership & Engagement Director, but working with teams across the organization and external vendors, the Graphic Designer will work with a high degree of autonomy, and will need to be responsible for their own asset and time management. Work will include designing materials for in-person events, online training, digital marketing, and more.
- In collaboration with internal staff, vendors, and contractors, conceive, develop, and iterate static and animated digital graphic design elements for a variety of digital uses including website, emails, animations, slide decks, and apps; and physical uses including signage, tote bags, printed reports, and postcards.
- Lead the direction of the NTEN brand and sub-brands, creating graphics that convey information and personality.
- Own the NTEN visual style guides that cover all organizational and programmatic brands.
- Advocate for and adhere to a consistent look and feel across NTEN’s properties and in partner materials.
- Document progress using team tools, including Asana, Slack, and Google Drive.
- Prioritize and manage independent and team projects, working to scope with minimal supervision.
- Liaise with external vendors to produce the best quality products for the budget allocated.
Support all of NTEN’s work by contributing to customer service and administration tasks where requested.
- Embrace NTEN’s Mission, Values, and Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
- 5+ years experience as a graphic designer managing more than one brand.
- Experience scoping and managing own projects and juggling different priorities.
- Demonstrated experience with project management, and ability to work with diverse teams of stakeholders.
- Expert with Adobe Creative Suite, including the ability to manipulate vector graphics to create new illustrations and build animations.
- Demonstrated ability to create static and animated graphics for a variety of digital and physical placements including signage, websites, printed materials, and social media.
- Understanding of how different placements impact graphic design – for example, 12ft signage vs a 2in button.
- Experience developing and maintaining brand guidelines.
This position is part-time, about 20 hours a week with some flexibility required over a two-week period, earning $39,000 annually with 50% of medical and dental benefits covered by NTEN, 401(k) with available matching contributions from NTEN, Flexible Spending Account, and 80 hours of PTO (paid time off) a year plus 10 paid holidays. This position is based at the NTEN offices in downtown Portland, Oregon. Domestic travel and extended hours will be required one week per year to perform a support role at the Nonprofit Technology Conference.
NTEN envisions a more just and engaged world where all nonprofits use technology skillfully and confidently to meet community needs and fulfill their missions. We support organizations by convening the nonprofit community, offering professional credentials and training, and facilitating an open exchange of ideas. Please review the Working at NTEN page to learn more about our benefits and team.