Director of Operations
William Temple House
William Temple House (Portland, OR) is seeking a full-time Director of Operations to manage human resources, contracting, facilities, and information technology. Our ideal candidate enjoys supporting people as well as managing operations. This position is an integral part of our Leadership Team, with shared responsibility for strategic planning and implementing our diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) goals.
Founded 55 years ago, WTH is a beloved nonprofit organization that restores hope and renews strength in individuals and families in a welcoming and respectful atmosphere. With low- and no-cost mental health counseling, a food pantry, and faith-neutral spiritual care, we lend a helping hand to Portland’s most vulnerable populations. We serve the whole person—mind, body, and spirit. A social enterprise, our thrift store, provides revenue to support our operations.
With a budget of $3.9 million, we have a talented staff of 27 (26 FTE) and operate at two locations across three buildings. The Director of Operations will join our team during a time of significant change as we continue to serve our community through the COVID-19 pandemic while strengthening our internal culture of collaboration, and living into our DEI commitments more fully. In the past two years, we conducted a client needs assessment, embarked on strategic planning, and adopted a new framework that reflects our plan of action to embed DEI across our operations, programs, management, and governance.
Our organization is full of passionate people who do important work, appreciate each other, and have fun.
Review the complete job description and find more information about WTH here: williamtemple.org/
• Operations Experience: Progressively responsible experience with planning and managing the operations of a nonprofit organization including human resources, facilities, information technology, and contracting (e.g., insurance, professional services, etc.).
• Staff Supervision: Ability to support the growth and development of staff, and to foster a collaborative, accountable, and inclusive organizational culture; excellent interpersonal skills.
• Diversity, Equity, Inclusion (DEI): Proven commitment to DEI and ability to operationalize DEI concepts within plans, policies, and procedures.
• Project Management Experience: Track record of organizing teams to achieve specific goals, incorporating paid professionals and volunteers.
• Computer and Database Skills: Comfortable with technology. Knowledge of and proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (especially Excel) and other information/data systems; experience with CRM/database systems; ability to quickly master new technologies.
• Collaboration and Communications: Ability to collaborate effectively with other departments, colleagues, donors, and partners; skilled in navigating conflict. Excellent communication skills including: communicating in person and virtually; email and telephone skills; business writing; and able to present complex concepts to a variety of audiences, including the staff, board of directors, and volunteers.
• Personal Qualities: Emotional intelligence, responsive, honest, inclusive, and detail-oriented, with an unwavering commitment to WTH’s mission.
• Bachelors Degree
Preferred but not required:
• Strategic planning experience
• Bicultural or bilingual
• Life experience as Black, indigenous, or person of color (BIPOC), LGBTQIA+, or person from another marginalized community
Please note: WTH offers faith-neutral spiritual care. Employees are not asked about religion, nor do they need to be religious.
Salary range is $70,000-$75,000, depending on experience, plus the following benefits:
Employer-paid medical, dental, and vision benefits for employee (100%)
Life insurance and AD&D
Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
401K retirement plan with employer match
Paid Time Off (PTO): 3 weeks the first year, 4+ weeks in years 2-4, 5 weeks after 6 years
Paid holidays: 10 designated holidays and 1 flexible “personal holiday”
Parking permit or transit reimbursement
Employee Assistance Program
Thrift Store Discount (20% off regularly priced merchandise)
How to Apply
Apply by March 5, 2021 • Please submit the following:
1. A cover letter that reflects how your experience qualifies you to become WTH’s Director of Operations, including a paragraph in response to each of these questions:
What are your best qualities as a supervisor, and how do you know?
What have you done in your personal and/or professional life to further equity and justice?
2. A complete chronological resume
Send via email as a PDF to WTH’s Executive Search Consultant, Paula Manley:
WTHopsdirector@paulamanley.com / Subject Line: WTH Operations Director
Contact consultant directly with any questions. All inquiries will be handled confidentially. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to WTHopsdirector@paulamanley.com
William Temple House is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from people of color, immigrants, LGBTQIA+ people, women, and people with disabilities. We believe we can only meet our mission with a diverse board and staff who actively pursue equity and work to create a culture of belonging.