*Note on Location: California, Washington, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Maine, North Carolina, Oregon, or Colorado (see “Location” section below).
At Summer Search, we believe in 'No Ceilings'. We envision a world in which young people, regardless of circumstances, can chart their own destiny.
In the United States, students from underserved communities – disproportionately BIPOC and first-generation – face systemic inequities in school, in the workforce, and in life. Nevertheless, these young people possess unique strengths, resilience, and limitless potential. Since 1990, Summer Search has partnered with young people during their transition from adolescence into adulthood by connecting them to expansive opportunities, professional mentoring, and a community of support. Summer Searchers recognize their potential and build a toolkit to navigate and challenge systemic barriers, break new ground for their families and communities, and achieve economic equity and a life of purpose.
Summer Search has set an objective to become a more data-driven organization so all members of our staff and boards have seamless, secure access to the most current and accurate data, information, and analyses they need to do their work, make decisions, and achieve our mission.
Summer Search is seeking a Director of Data & Analytics to develop and implement strategies to better collect, integrate, and analyze data in partnership with staff, leadership, and boards, giving everyone better access Summer Search’s data, housed in its multiple systems and a central data warehouse. As a leader on our national team, you will:
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Data Strategy, Management, and Infrastructure
- Define and execute a vision and strategy for how data will be acquired and leveraged across the organization.
- Design, implement, and monitor the use of dashboards and platforms to support strategic decision-making.
- Manage Summer Search’s data warehouse. Manage new and existing business intelligence automations.
- Partner with national and regional leadership to understand business goals, drivers and processes in order to design business intelligence and reporting solutions that solve problems and help staff and leadership make decisions.
- Partner with senior leadership to oversee organization-wide change management practices necessary to implement these approaches.
- Ensure that data is being accurately, securely, and efficiently gathered, stored, and maintained.
- Collaborate with other internal teams to ensure effective implementation (and evaluation) of business intelligence projects.
Information Systems Leadership
- Provide leadership and oversight of our technology infrastructure including the development of processes, policies, and budgeting
- Manage a team of one (1) manager-level role and lead a cohort of professionals across three national departments and five regional offices.
- Serve as the main contact for external technology partners. Negotiate and monitor service level agreements with vendors and service providers to ensure high-quality support across the network.
- Ensure security is maintained to mitigate threats and risks to confidentiality, integrity, and availability of all information.
- Oversee best practices involving IT solutions and tools for day-to-day operations.
WHO YOU ARE
Strong candidates will bring:
- EXPERIENCE: 3+ years of industry experience in a report development, data science, business analytics, business intelligence or comparable data engineering role, including data warehousing and business intelligence tools, techniques, and technology
- STRATEGIC ACUMEN: You consider yourself a visionary who has the ability to anticipate, articulate, and prepare for various outcomes and use this skill to develop objectives and priorities that are informed by data and align with the organizational direction.
- PEOPLE MANAGEMENT: You coach, guide and support members of your team toward achieving individual and collective goals. As a leader, you embody practices to effectively hold space, facilitate professional growth, amplify strengths, and hold staff members accountable. Your management style reflects your ability to be adaptive, responsive, and supportive of your team to show up as their authentic and full self.
- DATA ANALYSIS: You are committed to using a shared system for acquiring, validating, managing, and analyzing data to contribute to organizational learning and decision-making.
- COMMUNICATION EFFECTIVENESS: You are an active listener with the ability to articulate thoughts and ideas within and across various audiences, cultures, channels, and media.
- PRACTICAL: Previous or current Python, SQL programming experience (C, Java, other programming languages a plus). Experience with business intelligence and data visualization tools (ie. Tableau or Power BI) and the ability to present insights not easily seen. Strong quantitative skills.
In addition, all Summer Search staff bring a commitment to our mission and vision, as well as the ability to thrive in an environment that values excellence, gratitude, well-being, diversity, authenticity, and collaboration.
LOCATION AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Location is flexible. You will have the option of working remotely out of our National office in Oakland, from our regional offices in New York City, Boston, Seattle, or some combination. New hires must be residing in one of the following states by their first day of employment: California, Washington, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, North Carolina, Colorado, or Oregon.
Summer Search requires its staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees who are unable to be vaccinated due to a medical reason or sincerely held religious objection may be able to qualify for an exemption, consistent with state and federal law.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Summer Search is committed to transparent, equitable, and competitive compensation practices. This is an exempt position with an annual salary ranging from $122,275 - $135,665. Salaries are benchmarked using current market data and salary bands are created to demonstrate the growth potential within the band. Typically, offers are made at the starting place of the salary band. The Hiring Manager partners with the Talent Team to ensure offers are appropriate, competitive, and maintain internal equity.
Well-being, flexibility, and ongoing learning and development are pillars of our culture. We value our staff and are committed to creating an environment where every individual feels seen, heard, and valued. Investments in our staff include:
- Medical insurance with up to 90% employer contribution
- Dental, vision, FSA, life, and disability insurance plans
- 401 (K) and Employer Match up to $2,000 annually
- Generous time off including 15 vacation days, 10 sick days, and 18 holidays (2 floating holidays of your choice, a birthday day off, 10 company-wide holidays, and a 1-week December closure).
- Individual, local, regional, and national training
- A commitment to developing leaders from within the organization
- An organizational culture that supports staff well-being and holistic self-care/community care
- Ample opportunities to connect with the students and communities we serve
OUR COMMITMENT TO EQUITY, DIVERSITY, AND INCLUSION
With a staff that cares deeply about social justice and racial justice, we believe that diverse perspectives and backgrounds create a rich work environment and enhance our ability to pursue our mission.
We are committed to building an organization with raised consciousness in order to impact how we work with students, as well as how we work together as a team.
We hope you will join us as we continue to build a justice-centered organization that fosters a work environment where people from all backgrounds are welcomed and valued.
Select "Apply for this Position" below to submit a resume and targeted cover letter, addressed to Nick Hutchinson, Chief Operating and Financial Officer that answers the question, “Why are you interested in the Director of Data and Analytics opportunity at Summer Search?”
SUMMER SEARCH IS AN EQUAL-OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.