NEFE seeks a compensation consultant/firm to assist us with developing a clear compensation strategy and developing a pay philosophy and retirement benefits structure that aligns with that strategy. The successful consultant/firm will use discussions with our leadership team, analysis of NEFE’s current practices at an organizational level, the consultant’s past experience, and relevant research data, to help NEFE determine its priorities, what behaviors the organization wants to incentivize, the role that compensation and benefits play, whether it is in alignment with these priorities and with other comparable organizations (e.g., private operating foundations, number of employees, etc.), and the gap between our current structure.
The National Endowment for Financial Education (NEFE) is a 501(c)3 private operating
foundation based in Denver, Colorado. We are the independent, centralizing voice providing leadership, research, and collaboration to advance financial well‐being in the U.S. To understand and meet the changing financial education needs of all Americans, NEFE joins forces with thought leaders across the country and worldwide to help improve financial well‐being. We
facilitate rigorous financial literacy and behavioral research, convene experts on various personal finance topics, and comment and engage in national public policy efforts.
As one of the first organizations to wholly dedicate its efforts to improving the effectiveness of financial education, we continue our legacy of strengthening action‐oriented research agendas, mobilizing intermediaries, and creating better solutions for researchers, educators, practitioners, and policymakers. NEFE envisions a nation where everyone has the knowledge, confidence, and opportunity to live their best financial life.
NEFE is independently funded by its own endowment and operates as a noncommercial entity free from financial ties to other organizations. NEFE does not accept funding from the government or corporations and does not raise revenue through the sale of products or services. Growth of the endowment occurs through the investment of assets.
We have 29 full‐time employees when fully staffed, mostly located in the Denver Metro area, with the exception of a few out‐of‐state employees. Compensation, other than CEO and CFO, is benchmarked to Denver Metro data. NEFE’s last review of the salary structure was conducted in 2020.
Since that time, NEFE’s workforce has grown by 26%. NEFE utilizes BambooHR for HRIS and payroll services.
In selecting a consultant/firm, NEFE’s aims to partner with an expert consultant/firm that demonstrates quality and responsiveness in its customer service, follows ethical business practices, and shares a passion for NEFE’s mission and vision. The consultant should have experience and expertise with this kind of organizational evaluation and provide references and/or anonymized examples of past work
NEFE expects ongoing and open communications between the designated NEFE representatives and the consultant over the course of the project. NEFE leadership expects to meet with the consultant throughout the project to discuss findings and recommendations, and to guide direction as the project progresses. Collaboration with NEFE’s selected Diversity Equity and Inclusion consultant may also be part of the project.
We anticipate that this project will have four major parts:
- Facilitate a process to develop a clear compensation strategy and pay philosophy based on our budget and organizational priorities.
- Design a research‐based structure for salary/incentive compensation and retirement benefits that align with the new compensation strategy and pay philosophy.
- Identify the gaps between the current and new structure.
- Develop an implementation plan, including a final presentation to senior leadership, messaging to staff, and a timeline for the transition, which would begin January 2024.
The proposal should include the following components:
- Applicant Information: Name, address, phone number, web address, email address and contact person.
- Consulting Highlights: Specifically address how you/your firm can meet NEFE’s needs and highlight other successfully completed cultural assessment planning/consulting projects, particularly in the non‐profit (preferably private operating foundation) space.
- Consultant/Team Bio: Please include any/all team members who will be involved in the work you will do with NEFE. As an organization that celebrates diversity and inclusion, we look forward to working with firms that bring myriad voices and talent to their solutions.
- DEI: Share your organization's strategy and initiatives around diversity, equity and inclusion including how your firm’s leadership demonstrates its commitment and how your staff is supported in these efforts. For example, what initiatives are in place to recruit, retain, and advance a diverse workplace? Include a description of practices, programs, services, community involvement and/or internal operations, such as information about your corporate social responsibility program and/or describe your experience with socially responsible and impact investing.
- Implementation Process: Provide a projected timeline for plan creation and implementation.
- Unique Qualifications: In what ways do you differ from other consultants/consulting firms, and what advantages can NEFE expect in selecting you/your firm?
- Cost: Provide a proposed fee schedule for the services described in the proposal.
- References: References from three prior clients. References from other non‐profit organizations/private foundations are a plus.
- Length: Please limit proposals to no more than ten pages.
- Effective Date/Period: Proposal must state the period for which the proposal shall remain in effect. Such period shall not be less than 90 days from the proposal date.
Proposals will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Proposal’s overall fit with the needs of NEFE as expressed above.
- Consultant/firm’s diversity profile and values alignment.
- Consultant/firm’s qualifications, experiences, and references.
- Value add/new ideas presented.
Questions regarding this position and proposal should be submitted to Tina Mealer via email by May 12 at 5 pm MT, using the subject line: “Compensation Strategy Inquiry.” No phone calls please.
RESPONSES DUE: May 19, by 5 pm MT.
Tina Mealer, Senior Manager, Human Resources
National Endowment for Financial Education (NEFE)
1550 Market Street, Suite 475, Denver, CO 80202