Action Against Hunger is seeking a Digital Marketing Officer to join our Donor Marketing team.
Action Against Hunger leads the global movement to end hunger. We innovate solutions, advocate for change, and reach 24 million people every year with proven hunger prevention and treatment programs. As a nonprofit that works across 50 countries, our 8,300 dedicated staff members partner with communities to address the root causes of hunger, including climate change, conflict, inequity, and emergencies. We strive to create a world free from hunger, for everyone, for good.
Action Against Hunger USA is part of the Action Against Hunger International network. As an independent NGO, Action Against Hunger USA currently manages operations in 8 countries: Kenya, South Sudan, Somalia, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Zambia and Haiti. Action Against Hunger-USA has over $100 million in programs, and approximately 1,800 permanent staff based in New York City, Washington D.C, Nairobi, and country offices. Additional growth is anticipated.
Action Against Hunger currently has a hybrid work policy that requires at least two days in the office per week and proof of COVID-19 vaccination. The organization has offices in New York City and Washington, DC.
The position will report directly to the Digital Lead.
Purpose: The Digital Marketing Officer manages email marketing and SMS campaigns and provides support for all other digital campaigns. This role manages new and existing initiatives to raise funds, engage and steward constituents.
Engagement: The Digital Marketing Officer works closely with the Digital Lead, Digital Marketing Associate, Communications and other departmental, interdepartmental, and international colleagues on online marketing and fundraising activities.
Delivery: Grow the email and SMS programs using data-driven approaches and ensure constituents receive appropriate asks, updates and stewardship touches.
Essential Job Duties
- Manage the email and SMS marketing programs: Responsible for the strategy and implementation of the email & SMS programs, including all appeals, automated drip campaigns, monthly newsletters, and platform maintenance, while properly segmenting constituents and optimizing engagement.
- Manage external digital agencies as work pertains to email and SMS marketing.
- Write and build emails outside the scope of the email marketing agency.
- Oversee email lead acquisition efforts.
- Bring the online donor journey to life: Evaluate and manage the donor journey from first touch through to lifetime supporter. Ensure messaging is effective, segmented, and on brand, and that our donors receive first-class treatment in all online communication.
- Contribute to the digital marketing strategy: work with Digital Lead to execute an online marketing strategy with the primary goals of increasing online fundraising revenue, engaging constituents, and brand awareness.
- Create, maintain, and analyze the performance of email automation at all points of the donor journey, from welcome to conversion from one-time to monthly to monthly upgrade asks
- Analyze and optimize for donor retention and engagement through the email and SMS channels
- Manage goals and key performance indicators and monitor data to drive success: Maintain customized monthly analytics and revenue reports.
- Contribute to the digital marketing strategy: Work with the Digital Lead to execute an online marketing strategy with the primary goals of increasing online fundraising revenue, engaged constituents, and brand awareness.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within short time frames under stressful situations in the context of a moderately noisy office with interruptions.
- To travel to the field, the employee must attest to a level of physical fitness capable of enduring physically difficult, highly stressful situations which may include the necessity to walk long distances, to eat a limited diet and/or to reside in potentially uncomfortable housing or tents.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Working Conditions, Travel and Environment
- The duties of the job require regular job attendance at least five days per week. Must be available to work outside normal office hours or on the weekends as required by contact with the missions, mission security, or other obligations.
- Must be able to travel as required for standard domestic and international business travel as well as to the missions if appropriate. While visiting the field, the employee may be exposed to precarious settings under high security risks and/or very basic living conditions and outside weather conditions, as well as to infectious diseases.
Gender Equality Commitments & Zero Tolerance to Abuse
- Foster an environment that reinforces values of people of all genders equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where people of all genders must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
- Promote a safe, secure, and respectful environment for all stakeholders, particularly for children, beneficiaries, and members of staff.
- Help to prevent any type of abuse including workplace harassment and sexual abuse and exploitation.
- Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion, race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
- Value and respect all cultures.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
Required Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3-5 years of digital marketing experience
- Experience building an active, engaged community across a range of channels
- Driven with a proven track record of growing online revenue
- Experience managing robust revenue-focused email and SMS marketing programs
- Solid working knowledge of customer relationship management (CRM) systems
- Vendor management expertise
- Excellent analytical skills using web traffic data to make data‐driven decisions
- Familiar with setting up and analyzing email automation
- Experience with a variety of email marketing and SMS services, ideally MailChimp, Pardot, Mogli, and Simple Texting
- Basic skills in Photoshop, HTML, and CSS
- Proven organizational and project management skills
- Creative thinker with excellent problem-solving skills and a real “can do” attitude
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment juggling multiple projects concurrently
- Excellent editorial and writing skills, especially in web and email marketing contexts
- Experience coding cross‐client compatible email templates
- Knowledge and hands‐on experience with online fundraising platforms like Funraise and CRM, Raiser’s Edge
- Experience in online stewardship and online monthly giving programs.
- Familiarity with peer‐to‐peer fundraising programs
- Fluency in English
- Other duties as required