Microaggressions are small, subtle, often subconscious actions that marginalize people in oppressed groups.
- Don’t make assumptions about someone’s gender. If you need to reference something an attendee said, refer to them by name, use “they/them” rather than a gendered pronoun, or try something like “going back to what our friend from the food bank said…”
- Know that “guys” is not gender neutral.
- Reserve the terms “girls” or “boys” for youth.
- Be thoughtful about who you call on to speak.
- Make sure to share the microphone and podium with your co-presenters.