The Dollars and Sense of Nonprofit Technology Budgeting
This interactive workshop will help participants identify budgeting guidelines and learn the anatomy of a nonprofit IT budget, categories of spending, and the unique challenges nonprofits face trying to invest in technology improvements.
We will explore improvements nonprofits can make make on their own and at very low cost through process improvement, training, communications, and use of the panoply of free and low-cost technology resources available to nonprofits. We will also provide a number of different strategies for IT expense reduction and suggest different strategies and resources for finding potential funding sources for different types of technology projects.
Over the course of the workshop, we’ll be guiding attendees through the completion of a technology budget and preparing attendees for submersion in the Technology Budget Shark Tank, where selected participants will pitch their budget and key investments to a panel of sharks comprised of facilitators and audience members.
- Why strategic technology planning feeds both budgeting and fundraising
- How funding opportunities fit within an overall IT budget or strategy
- Appreciation for how IT budgeting is a prerequisite for innovation
- Strategies for IT expense reduction
- Ways to think about return on investment (ROI) for technology projects
- Overview of the “other” ROI (Run, Optimize, Innovate)
- IT budgeting checklist (digital handout)