Make the Case for 20NTC
Thank you for deciding to join us at 20NTC. We know that you will leave the conference buzzing with knowledge and an app full of new contacts, but we also know that sometimes, it’s not up to you to decide whether you get to attend. Aside from financial considerations, if you’re a lean team, taking a few days away from work can feel impossible.
We believe we can fulfill our missions better if we make time for growth and new ideas.
We hope these tips and a sample letter for your boss will help you justify your 20NTC attendance. Be sure to review the 20NTC agenda, which includes all the sessions.
We look forward to meeting you in Baltimore!
- Emphasize the specific skills you’d like to strengthen or develop at the conference. Connect the projects you’re working on and areas you’re trying to develop with specific conference offerings.
- Offer to take detailed notes and prepare and deliver a short presentation for your colleagues. That way others in your organization will get the benefits of your attendance as well.
- Share the conference schedule and speaker bios with your colleagues and engage them in determining which sessions to attend. Offer to meet with speakers of interest and connect them to your organization.
- Prepare a plan that shows who will cover for you while you are attending the conference.
- Show that you’re conscious of the costs by finding ways to reduce the expenses, such as applying for a scholarship, earning a reduced rate by volunteering, sharing a hotel room, or taking public transportation while at the conference.
Hello [FABULOUS MANAGER],
This year we’ve got a ton of projects planned, and I am excited to dig into them all. To help me strengthen the skills I’ll need to knock these out of the park and generate new ideas to share with the rest of the team, I’d love to attend NTEN’s upcoming Nonprofit Technology Conference.
The 2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference takes place March 24 – March 26, 2020, in Baltimore. Over 2,000 nonprofit professionals will come together for nearly 150 sessions exploring technologies, strategies, and trends in the nonprofit sector, an exhibit hall highlighting the latest nonprofit products and services, and networking events every evening. Check out some of the videos and session materials from previous conferences — it looks great!
I think this conference is an excellent opportunity for us to engage with nonprofit leaders, connect with potential partners/clients, and bring back best practices to the organization. I’m particularly excited about [SPECIFIC SESSION, EVENT, OR TOPIC], which I think will help us [APPLY TO YOUR WORK].
My attendance will cost about [COST], including travel, lodging, and registration. The registration fee includes my entire participation in the conference, as well as a continental breakfast and lunch each day. I will ensure my duties are covered while I’m away and will take detailed notes and give a short recap presentation for our team when I return.
Thanks in advance for considering my request. I’d love to chat more about this opportunity and answer any questions you might have!
[FUTURE NTC ATTENDEE]