Technology In The Field
Whether responding to disasters, conducting community trainings, doing street outreach, or providing onsite intervention support, some of our most important work is in places that are not designed for fancy office equipment. We’ll go over ways we’ve coped with challenges we’ve seen across a variety of situations, including:
- Factors to consider in choosing a location
- Designing laptop kits and modular sets for ease of support, use, transport
- Working with a variety of languages and literacy levels
- Getting internet access and networking
- Dealing with heat, cold, humidity, dirt, curious goats, etc.
- When to solve an issue by adding MORE technology, and when to solve it by reducing technology
- Providing remote support and training non-technical staff in techie triage
We hope you’ll end this session with a realistic sense of the issues you may face, but also inspired by the fact that a little creativity, a little flexibility, a little cleverness can go a long way.