Sketchnotes: Tools and Tips to Improve Visual Communication
Sketchnotes can keep your notebooks tidy, create new ways to organize your thoughts and reactions in real time, and create a compelling record of your experiences. For nonprofit professionals, sketchnotes are great for visualizing projects, documenting strategic planning processes, communicating about conferences to your colleagues back at the office, and more. In this session, three NTC sketchnote veterans will introduce basic concepts of visual note taking, and we’ll share our colorful, narrative note-taking styles, including fresh work from here in New Orleans. We’ll cover:
- Why sketchnotes?
- How to get started with your own sketchnotes
- Sketchnote strategies for fast-paced environments
- Ways to share your gorgeous notes on social media and with your colleagues
Participants can share your own examples of “good notes” and learn from each other and the presenters. Throughout the session, we’ll all get to work with pens and paper to start developing a visual language approach that you can start using right here at the conference. We’ll share a wide variety of pens and other tools for you to try throughout the workshop. Not an artist? No problem! You can create great sketchnotes with no “drawing” at all, and we’ll show you how.
- Get a theoretical and practical understanding of sketchnotes and visual notetaking
- Experiment with tools and develop a visual note-taking style that works for you
- Leave with new ways to record and share the things you learn and ideas you develop in real time