How to run an Inclusive Internship Program
How to run an Inclusive Internship Program. Bolster DEI program by both diversifying people we work with and provide diverse candidates an entry into the field and strengthen inclusiveness.
Heising-Simons Foundation (HSF) has recently begun a technology internship program that aims for inclusiveness. We are working with two local workforce development programs (MEDA’s Mission Techies and the Berkeley based Computer Technology Program to provide trainees with direct office experience.
- Lay the groundwork with leadership, HR, and relevant teams.
- Determine the needs, role, and goals.
- Promote inclusion early on.
- Internship application and interview track.
- Intern onboarding and training track.
- Mentoring your intern
- Evaluate and learn
Consider other ways you can work with local workforce development:
- Mock interviews
- Cohort field trip on-site to see a real office in action
- Create an inclusive internship program
- Understand the steps and work involved
- Learn pitfalls and hang ups to avoid