Developing Your Own Community Data Science Project as a Solo Data Scientist
Many communities tackling challenging social issues struggle to maximize the impact data science can have to move the needle on critical issues in their backyard. They often lack the time or knowledge to identify where to begin or how to transform analysis into action. Data science is known as being a team sport.
So how can a solo data scientist (as in a data scientist who does not work on a team or is the only data scientist employed by an organization) start a community data science project independently? How do you actually get a project going? This workshop will walk through how to address and establish a data science project within the community and provide practical tips and techniques to help you complete a project as a solo data scientist through an interactive process of examining a sample community project. We’ll also answer the following questions:
- How do you communicate how data science can help solve issues in the community?
- How do you communicate its value?
- What are techniques and approaches you can take to start a data science project and keep it going?
- How do you determine an appropriate community data science project to work on?
- Establish a community data science project
- Approach a data science project from the perspective of a solo data scientist
- Create your organization’s own civic data scientist toolkit