First Time Attendee
Welcome! Attending an event as large as the Nonprofit Technology Conference can be thrilling and a bit overwhelming. We’re here to help! The more you prepare for 18NTC and explore the various opportunities, the more enjoyable and productive your experience will be.
Before the Conference
- Book your hotel—don’t wait, discounted rooms fill up quickly.
- Follow @NTENorg on Twitter and join the conversation using #18NTC. (Need a primer on conference social media? Check out these tips from 17NTC.)
- Connect with other attendees in the 18NTC community forum. This forum opens in early 2018, but you can connect with community members year-round in NTEN’s online community platform.
- Download the conference mobile app. (Available in early 2018.)
- Propose a Birds of a Feather affinity/topic lunch table. (Available in early 2018.)
- Dine Around NOLA with new friends: RSVP for or sign up to host a small gathering at a nearby restaurant. (Sign-up sheet available in early 2018.)
- RSVP for or self-organize a community event. Gather with fellow runners for a morning jog, schedule a game night, go on a photography walk of NOLA—find your people and make the most of your trip! (Sign-up sheet available in early 2018.)
- Stock up business cards for networking and stickers for the sticker swap table.
- Let us know if you need sign language interpretation, live-captioning, mobility device rental, or other services.
- Review the Code of Conduct.
During the Conference
- Come to the registration area for your badge, pronoun ribbon, and swag!
- Take care of your needs: Check the program for the locations of gender-neutral restrooms, nursing mothers’ room, prayer room, and community-organized 12-step gatherings.
- Be flexible when selecting sessions. Many fill up quickly, so be sure to arrive early and have a back-up plan.
- Strike up a conversation and ask questions of the session speakers and attendees. NTC attendees are a friendly bunch, and some of the best conversations happen in hallways and while waiting for coffee.
- Contribute to and follow along with the attendee-sourced collaborative session notes. (See examples from previous years.)
- Fill out session evaluations via the mobile app.
- Head to the exhibit hall to get your professional profile pic, then let your hair down for the photo booth.
- Learn about NTEN’s latest year-round programs and resources and chat with staff and longtime community members at the NTEN Center.
- Get some light exercise via a lunchtime active session such as yoga or a walking tour.
- Meet up with your peers and make new friends at a lunchtime Birds of a Feather (BOF), evening Dine Around NOLA gathering, or a self-organized community event.
- Scavenge the conference venue for buttons, buttons, and more buttons.
- Leave some stickers and take some stickers at the sticker swap table in the exhibit hall.
After the Conference
- Fill out the overall conference evaluation. Your feedback is important and appreciated.
- Submit required documentation to receive Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE), Certified Association Executive (CAE), or Nonprofit Technology Professional Certificate credits.
- Access the collaborative session notes, linked in each session’s description.
- Continue the conversations and learning by getting more involved with NTEN year-round.