At the Chordoma Foundation, we serve as an agent of change on behalf of those affected by chordoma, a rare bone cancer of the skull and spine. Our team helps patients and families facing this challenging disease get the care and support they need while leading the search for better treatments and ultimately a cure. Through funding and driving high-impact research — including through our own laboratory — we are bringing new treatment options to patients at an unparalleled pace. This has already culminated in 12 clinical trials, but our most impactful work lies ahead as we take on a larger role in research and therapeutic development through our own lab, build the infrastructure needed to streamline future trials, and facilitate the first drug approvals for chordoma.
To take on the next phase of our mission, we’re looking for an adept finance and operations leader to level up the business functions that underpin our work and will enable our future growth (from ~$3M annual budget to >$6M). As Head of Finance and Operations, you’ll oversee existing, well-developed systems and processes while bringing fresh ideas to further increase efficiency and implementing new solutions to support program expansion (e.g. beginning an in-house drug discovery program) and new revenue sources (e.g., NIH grants, industry-sponsored research, licensing revenue).
In this role, you’ll report to the Executive Director and serve as a key member of our leadership team. You’ll have a view into every aspect of our work, and collaborate closely with heads of Research, Patient Services, Fundraising, and Engagement to enable the operational excellence of their departments. You’ll supervise a team including one full-time direct report and several contractors/consultants, and you’ll have flexibility in determining which responsibilities to own, delegate, or outsource — as well as how to add capacity to your team as needed.
You will own all finance and operations functions for the organization; for each, you’ll scope needs, develop strategy, define policies and SOPs, and automate or delegate routine processes as much as possible.
- Budget and forecasting: Lead development of consolidated annual and multi-year budgets and forecasts aligned with our goals, policies, and commitments; equip department heads with a clear view of the remaining budget throughout the year; coordinate budget adjustments as needed
- Bookkeeping and accounting: Oversee income and expense recording, account reconciliations, bill payment, payroll, month-end close, and tracking of restricted funds; oversee annual audit and preparation of annual 990 by external accounting firm
- Reporting: Provide the leadership team and Board with visibility into our financial position and performance; produce financial reports as needed to meet requirements of grants, contracts, and partnerships
- Treasury: Manage our financial assets consistent with investment policy, ensuring adequate liquidity to meet operational needs
- Financial systems: Manage all software and associated data relating to our financial operations (currently this includes NetSuite, Ramp, and Rippling)
- Revenue operations: Oversee timely and accurate processing of all revenue (donations, grants, research contracts, etc.) and associated information and requirements; establish necessary systems and processes to support new sources of revenue
- Technology: Manage the suite of applications that enable our remote team to operate and collaborate efficiently; implement new solutions to address evolving needs; proactively protect the security of our tech systems, equipment, and data
- People operations: Oversee benefits including insurance, retirement plan, and PTO; maintain personnel records according to policy and legal requirements; provide team members with needed information, documentation, and training
- Contracts: Review business contracts to ensure compliance and compatibility with our policies and relevant business processes, consulting with counsel as needed; ensure that all contracts are appropriately stored and that contractual obligations are tracked
- Risk management: Work with our legal counsel and other advisors to identify and mitigate sources of risk — financial, operational, reputational, and regulatory — and ensure that we stay in compliance with relevant laws, regulations, policies, and obligations
- Progressively responsible experience in finance, business operations, or related roles
- Ability to delegate to direct reports, contractors, and vendors, ensuring high productivity, quality work, and a positive working environment
- Strong drive to leverage technology to enable efficiency and productivity beyond the norm for a small organization
- Ability to effectively manage multiple work streams and incoming requests simultaneously, setting realistic timelines, keeping stakeholders informed, and delivering on schedule
- Ability to make well-reasoned decisions to meet our team’s needs, taking into consideration both measurable data as well as the qualitative experiences and perspectives of relevant stakeholders
- A love of creating structure, efficiency, and elegance from the seemingly complex
- Optimistic outlook: an understanding that challenges are a perpetual feature of making change in the world, and a belief in your ability to solve them through initiative, learning, and creativity
- Self-motivation and high personal standards
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including:
- 100% employer-sponsored health and dental insurance plans
- Life, vision, and disability insurance
- Retirement savings account with company matching
- 11 company holidays plus 20 days of annual paid time off
- Eligibility for paid sabbaticals at 5 and 10 years of tenure
- Support for professional development, learning, and skills building
In addition, you’ll enjoy:
- A fully remote role with the ability to work from anywhere in North America
- Substantial schedule flexibility
- A highly nimble, efficient, and tech-enabled work environment
- Personable, hard-working, and high-performing colleagues, each of whom is deeply committed to our day-to-day work, the people we serve, and each other
- Personal connections with the patients and families whose lives your work will touch
Apply using the form here.