Green City Market (GCM), a nationally-recognized nonprofit organization and local food advocate, seeks a driven Development & Communications Manager
About Green City Market
Green City Market is securing the future of food by deepening support for sustainable farmers, educating our community, and expanding access to locally-grown food. Learn more about our history and our future at www.greencitymarket.org.
Are you passionate about supporting small family farmers, educating consumers and the next generation of eaters, and increasing access to local, healthy, sustainable food? Have you been described as ambitious, self-motivated, and driven? Are you seeking an environment that allows you to balance life and work? You might be the perfect fit for this role.
Reporting to the Development & Communications Director, the Development & Communications Manager will play a critical role in this management-level position by supporting Green City Market’s mission, primarily through overseeing the successful execution of all aspects of its development and communication programs.
We imagine that the person who fills this role will spend their time in the following ways:
Leadership (20% or ~8 hours/week)
- Works collaboratively as a member of the management team to fulfill Green City Market’s strategic plan, mission, and vision
- Trains, coaches, and leads direct reports including full-time, part-time, and seasonal staff using effective management practices such as weekly check-ins, 90-day reviews, annual performance and professional development evaluations for full-time employees
- Contributes to the development, execution, and analysis of comprehensive departmental plan for GCM’s development and communications strategies to ensure their success
- Manage development- and communications-related budget line items, accurately forecasting expenditures and revenue
- Contribute to a collaborative, positive, and professional work environment for the organization and its staff
- Exhibits a passion for Green City Market’s mission and vision and effectively communicate that passion and the donor’s role in achieving organizational goals at internal and external meetings and events
- Build deep and thoughtful relationships with key stakeholders including program beneficiaries, government officials, donors, volunteers, and more to ensure they receive value from their experience that helps to advance GCM’s mission
General Development Operations (See below for average time commitment)
- Develop and execute engaging programming that is aligned with achieving strategic objectives
- Design program evaluation methods to collect, analyze, and collaboratively communicate quantitative and qualitative data that showcases programmatic impact
- Identify opportunities for programmatic improvement, determine the root-cause of problem areas, analyze data, and implement solutions to maximize program impact
- Work collaboratively with operations staff to ensure donor experience and sponsor activation strategies are successfully implemented
- Work collaboratively with programs staff to ensure compliance with grant requirements including obtaining support for applications, reports, site visits, and other tasks related to programmatic funding
- Develops and maintains systems and resources that facilitate the effective operation of the department toward the objectives of the strategic plan
- Provide general administrative support that contribute to the successful execution of GCM’s programs
Development (70% or ~28 hours/week)
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward a portfolio of ~150 individual and institutional donors for gifts of time, talent, and treasure to meet budgeted goals of securing $500,000 – $750,000+ in annual charitable contributions
- Manage aspects of charitable revenue generation for coordinator-level staff to ensure overall organizational annual budgets are met
- Design a donor experience that drives donor acquisition and retention strategies
- Oversee collection of grant data and ensure compliance with grant-related reports and record-keeping requirements in collaboration with other departments
- Serve as the staff liaison to the Associate Board and as a supporting staff liaison to the Board of Directors communicating effectively the successes and opportunities of the development and communications programs
Communications (10% or ~4 hours/week)
- Leads the creation, execution, and analysis of operational plans and financial budgets for GCM’s communications strategies
- Manages the work of the Communications Coordinator responsible for the execution and analysis of annual communications calendar and content across a variety of channels
- Prepare board and donor meeting materials, including detailed excel reports and Canva presentations
Studies have shown that women, nonbinary folks, and People of Color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every single one of the qualifications described in a job description. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organization and we are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job. That candidate may be one who comes from a background less traditional to our field of work, and that’s okay! Candidates who possess a familiarity with issues related to small- to mid-sized sustainable farmers and farmers markets are preferred. Basic knowledge of gardening, culinary skills, and/or food security are also highly desirable. We strongly encourage all interested candidates to apply.
A successful applicant will:
- Demonstrate a deep conviction to Green City Market’s mission and vision as well as a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness
- Have 5+ years of professional experience with a proven track-record of success with nonprofit development and communications
- Be a collaborative and communicative leader with experience leading a large team of full-time, part-time, and seasonal staff
- Have the ability to be self-motivated and a balanced preference and ability to work independently and with a team
- Have an interest in nonprofit financial management with experience in departmental budgeting (creation, forecasting, reporting, and analysis)
- Continually promote and achieve high standards of quality at work, apply attention to detail to the execution of all projects and constantly look for problems to solve and ways to improve
- Enjoy designing, implementing, and managing complex, long-term projects through the development of processes/systems to meet deadlines, fulfill commitments, track progress, and achieve goals
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with a diverse group of people, including fellow staff members, market vendors, donors, and other key stakeholders
- Exhibit integrity, discretion, and professional maturity to handle highly confidential information
- Have the ability to lift 50 pounds and willingness to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions at market or events
- Have technology proficiencies (GCM uses Google Suite for Nonprofit, PCs, Bloomerang CRM, Mailchimp, and other systems to manage operations)
- Candidates with Spanish, Russian, or Polish language proficiency are encouraged to apply
- Development $$ raised last year: $990K
- Development $$ goal this year: $1.3M
- Total organization budget this year: $1.6M
- Anticipated organization budget next year: $2.1M
The Development & Communications Manager will work in a variety of settings; however the majority of work is completed in an office. Our operations are essential and are conducted in-person and in all weather types: rain, snow, or shine! Due to GCM’s small staff size, this role will participate in market operations on occasion.
At GCM, we seek employees who know how to balance life and work. We focus on results and expect our team to execute responsibilities with a high degree of professionalism.
The Development and Communications Manager typically works a Monday – Friday schedule. Please note, some GCM team members work Tuesday – Saturday schedules and as a management-level leader, this role will serve as on-call personnel when necessary during events and programs that may take place outside of the typical schedule.
The Development and Communications Manager will enjoy regular presence at events and GCM programs, including the markets, to build relationships with key stakeholders.
Regular attendance at Associate Board meetings held every other month is required.
- Base Salary: $59,785
- PTO: 20 paid vacation days, 10 paid floating holidays, 10 paid sick days, + annual year-end office closure
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- Education enrichment budget
- $75/month mobile stipend
- 401k Retirement Plan with Employer Matching
Anticipated Hiring Process
The hiring process will include a brief application and two rounds of interviews. For the safety of our candidates and team, interviews are being conducted virtually through the Covid-19 pandemic. The anticipated start date for the position is Wednesday, January 3, 2024. Applicants will be selected on a rolling basis. The deadline for priority consideration is 11:59 pm on November 14, 2023.
First round interviews will take place Monday, December 27 through Wednesday, December 29. Second and final round interviews will take place Monday, December 4 through Wednesday, December 6. We will aim to accommodate candidates’ schedules as best as possible, but candidates should be prepared to schedule interview(s) during the listed dates to accommodate the target hiring schedule.
Applicants should submit a résumé and submit a brief application via this form. No phone calls or dropins, please.
Green City Market is an equal opportunity employer. Green City Market does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, age, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation or any other protected status.