Established in 1996, Internet2 is an advanced networking consortium led by the U.S. research and education community. Internet2 serves the U.S. higher education community by providing a mechanism through which that community may collaboratively design, build, operate, and sustain mission-critical differentiated technology solutions supporting research and scholarship. Internet2 is a member-driven organization that represents an extension of the members themselves. Additionally, Internet2 plays a key role in aligning collaboration of industry, government, R&E networks and other research and education affiliates to amplify and promote these aims.
The Web Communications Developer will be responsible for the front-end development and implementation of Internet2’s web presence strategy and will support all web content and website-related projects in conjunction with the Webmaster and the Technical Services Group at Internet2. This position is charged with ensuring the Internet2 website serves as a key marketing and communications channel for the organization, meeting the needs and reflecting the values of the Internet2 member community. Within the next 12 months, this position will also provide support and participate in the redesign of the Internet2 website as a key project team contributor.
This full-time position will report to the Associate Vice President, Marketing and Communications and will be located in the Internet2 Ann Arbor, Michigan office. Travel several times per year may be expected. The successful candidate will be hands-on, resourceful, accountable, a good relationship builder and able to multi-task in a fast-paced and sometimes complex environment.
Responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
- Develop guidance on content standards, provide thought leadership on process improvements, and ensure best practices and quality standards are met
- Translate designer art into web pages and web page elements such as new page art, infographics, homepage showcase images, etc. within the existing context of the current CMS environment
- Develop strong partnership with Internet2’s Technical Services Group to support the creation design assets (graphics, CSS styles) and selecting and installing software / platform / modules / applications as required
- Provide recommendations on how to structure HTML code for new content and CMS plugins so it can be styled and edited efficiently
- Support and address daily/weekly web ticket requests
- Learn and operate within existing web production standards and environment creating editing and pushing code updates to git repositories, testing code on development and test web systems
- Develop and implement new features that ensure the Internet2 site remains on the leading edge of both technology, usability, and community building trends
- Plan, design, and perform content enhancements and updates to the Internet2 website; coordinate with appropriate staff and/or community members to develop website content on a proactive and as needed basis.
- Collaborate with content producers/internal stakeholders, overseeing content placement and maintaining content quality, with timely release across the Internet2 web platform
- Develop and implement content management processes and guidelines
- Develop ongoing editorial strategy for the new website, seek out and execute meaningful editorial and content partnerships
- Grow and expand site traffic and audience engagement
- Work with developers to assess any technical challenges in displaying and implementing content
- Participate in the MarCom team weekly meetings and regular meeting with TSG team
- Perform additional communications tasks (as needed) such as writing, editing, and onsite support for Internet2 eventsRequirements:
- Knowledge of information structures and content management system principles
- Experience in design, graphics and styling as part of the web environment
- Extensive experience:
– Implementing web-based marketing communications plans
Managing complex web projects and managing individuals across multiple departments and potentially external resources
– Communicating concepts and requirements through visual diagrams, especially wireframes as well as process and screen flows, etc.
– Building and fostering online communities
– Writing and editing web-appropriate content
- Ability to:
– Work well as both an individual and a team member, taking initiatives and playing a supporting role
– Draw on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals with a wide degree of creativity and latitude expected
– Communicate and interact with subject matter experts from different functional areas
- Writing and editing skills with proven ability to write clear, concise technical documents a plus
- Working knowledge of SEO best practices
- Highly organized and detail oriented
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organization skills
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or related field
- Five to eight years’ experience in the field or related area
Internet2 is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.