At the Center for Biological Diversity, we believe that the welfare of human beings is deeply linked to nature – to the existence in our world of a vast diversity of wild animals and plants. Because diversity has intrinsic value, and because its loss impoverishes society, we work to secure a future for all species, great and small, hovering on the brink of extinction. We do so through science, law and creative media, with a focus on protecting the lands, waters and climate that species need to survive. We want those who come after us to inherit a world where the wild is still alive.
The Center is currently looking for a full-time SQL Developer. This position is located in Tucson, Arizona.
General position overview:
The SQL Developer will be responsible for designing databases and ensuring their stability, reliability, and performance. The position will also work with other developers optimizing SQL statements as necessary, and establishing best practices. In addition, the SQL Developer will help solve all database usage issues and come up with ideas and advice that can help avoid such problems in the future.
- Write and optimize SQL statements, including complex queries for custom reporting.
- Create data stores and data warehouses.
- Ensure performance, security, and availability of databases.
- Implement advanced ETL processes to acquire and load large datasets and improve efficiency of existing processes.
- Prepare documentations and specifications.
- Handle common database procedures such as upgrade, backup, recovery, migration, etc.
- Profile database server resource usage, and optimize and tweak as necessary.
- Collaborate with other team members and staff.
Essential qualities, qualifications and skills:
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science or related field.
- 10 years of on-the-job experience with SQL development, including a minimum of three years direct experience with MS SQL Server 2012 or newer
- Strong proficiency with SQL and its variation among SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle and Azure databases
- Direct experience building graphs and charts to communicate business information; Power BI and/or Tableau visualization tools knowledge a plus
- Develop, implement and optimize stored procedures and functions using T-SQL
- Advanced experience with modern relational databases
- Skilled at optimizing large complicated SQL statements
- Expertise in troubleshooting common database issues
- Thorough understanding of SQL Server, T-SQL programming, SSIS and SSRS
- Excellent analytical and organization skills
- An ability to understand user requirements and a problem-solving attitude
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work both independently as well as in a team environment
The Center offers a very generous benefits package which includes:
- Paid medical, dental and vision plan for employee.
- Paid Short-term and long-term disability.
- 403(b) plan with opportunity for match.
- Generous time off policies.
- Relaxed work atmosphere and dress code.
Please apply by submitting a thoughtful cover letter and resume. The position will remain open until filled. No telephone calls, please. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The Center for Biological Diversity deeply values, and is committed to sustaining and promoting, both biological and cultural diversity. We welcome, embrace and respect diversity of people, identities and cultures. We are committed to fostering an organizational culture of diversity and inclusion. The Center believes staff and board diversity is critical to saving life on Earth.
We are an equal opportunity employer.