Center for Biological Diversity
The Center for Biological Diversity seeks a full-time Software Engineer in our Information Technology Program. The preferred location is Tucson, AZ, but work may be performed remotely. The Software Engineer is responsible for designing, writing, testing, modifying, integrating and deploying custom software solutions as well as customizing and integrating vendor solutions.
General position overview: The Center’s Information Technology team provides a wide range of technical operational support for communications and development staff, attorneys, digital campaigners, scientists, activists, organizers and program directors. The team is responsible for overseeing the storage infrastructure, flow and analysis of data throughout the organization’s internal and cloud-based systems, and it designs, customizes and implements internally focused and public-facing applications and websites.
We seek a highly skilled and passionate Software Engineer to join our Information Technology Program team. The position will require technical capacity and performance management competencies, along with communication proficiency, personal effectiveness/credibility, and ethical conduct.
- Develop and deliver customizations for website migration to a CMS;
- Analyze, design and develop web-based internal and externally facing software systems;
- Analyze, plan and design tools to connect and share data between systems;
- Make recommendations, design and implement new responsive website features;
- Evaluate, plan and implement new applications and functionalities as needed to enhance the Center’s network, websites, applications, databases, communications, mobile applications, and other services;
- Develop and manage integrations to monitor and maintain email list health for our eCRMs;
- Develop and manage integrations to measure acquisition performance on our website and eCRM;
- Creating guidance, training, and supporting staff in the use of developed tools;
- Share duties with IT department as needed.
- Keep abreast of relevant technologies, systems, tools, processes, and make recommendations and decisions on inclusion into our development methodologies and product architecture.
Essential qualities, qualifications, and skills:
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree, preferably in computer science or related field.
- At least 5 years’ experience in software development with one or more of the following back-end technologies – PHP, Python, SQL.
- Experience setting up and deploying development, test, and production environments.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, ability to convey complex ideas in an accessible manner to both developers and non-developers.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Experience in non-profit or advocacy organizations.
- Expertise in customizing Drupal and or WordPress CMS.
- Expertise with Python and Django.
- Experience with designing databases in MySQL or SQL Server.
- Experience with connecting systems through APIs, preference given to EveryAction, Zoom, Facebook, Google analytics, and ads.
- Experience with Google tag manager integrations.
- Experience with Git.
- Experience with Elasticsearch.
- Aptitude for delivering quality UX.
- Experience integrating machine learning or artificial intelligence solutions.
Salary Range: The salary range for this position is $65,000 – $70,000. Salary bounds may vary commensurate with experience.
- Paid generous medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- 403(b) plan with opportunity for match
- Generous time-off policies
- Relaxed work atmosphere
How to Apply
Application process: Please apply on our website at https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/about/jobs/ by submitting a cover letter, resume, and 3 references with your application. The position will remain open until filled. No telephone calls, please. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.