Who We Are
“The advancement of science should be the chief concern of a nation that would conserve and increase the welfare of its people.”
-James McKeen Cattell, former AAAS President and Editor of Science
The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) is an international non-profit organization dedicated to advancing science for the benefit of all people. For over a century, AAAS has been a force for science, from helping to establish science as a credible field in the 19th century to using satellite imaging technology to document human rights abuses in 2007. We are recognized as the world’s largest general scientific society and the proud publisher of the Science family of journals. Past presidents have included astronomer Edward Charles Pickering, anthropologist Margaret Mead, and biologist Stephen Jay Gould. Our mission is centered on the belief that STEM research and education can help solve many of the challenges the world faces today.
AAAS is a culture steeped in history, but adaptive to change and new ideas. We recognize the hard work of our employees and encourage the development of our staff. Our colleagues represent an array of expertise from scholarly publishing to digital marketing, educational research to government relations, all with a shared focus on mission. At AAAS, you are part of a talented team, dedicated to advancing science and serving society.
Work With Us
We have an exciting opportunity for a full-time Senior Technical Support Specialist (STSS) within the IT department based in Washington, DC. The STSS provides Tier 1 technical support and is responsible for identifying and troubleshooting customer submitted technical problems and service requests as well as, when appropriate, the timely escalation of those issues. The STSS serves as the backup to the Technical Support Manager, and may be called upon to coordinate the activities of a small team of Technical Support Specialists to deliver tier 1, 2, and 3 level technical assistance to clients of the IT department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Understands and is able to perform the day-to-day activities of the Technical Support Manager
- Writes and publishes user documentation for IT-provided software, applications, or services
- Provides leadership and guidance to less experienced staff
- Coordinates appropriate communications with the Association in regard to impacts to changes to staff desktop computing or telecom environments
- Works effectively and efficiently with all levels of the organization
- Responsible for end-user device installation, maintenance, tracking, and troubleshooting, and the documentation and verification of specific steps taken
- Screens, prioritizes, and fulfills help desk tickets and reports on status
- Escalates helpdesk requests in a timely fashion to other technicians, as necessary
- Tracks and monitors problem resolution rates and status for all active IT-related helpdesk tickets
- Provides in-person, telephone, and remote technical assistance for IT-supported solutions
- Conducts day-to-day IT Department organizational tasks, including:
- Tracking and replenishing IT inventory
- Ordering, receiving, tracking and distributing purchased products
- Organizing and maintaining clutter-free IT storage, staging and personal work areas
- May be responsible for routine system administrative tasks including:
- Conducting system maintenance and operational checks
- Monitoring backup performance and rotation of media to an off-site facility
- Creation of standardized workstation images and maintaining records of image distribution and inventory
- Associate degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Three to five years of experience as a member of an information technology service desk demonstrating an increasing understanding of technology and growth in formally or informally leading or mentoring junior or less experienced staff members
- Strong attention to detail and strong organization skills
- Meticulous record keeping skills
- Demonstrated expertise working with supported versions of the Microsoft Windows operating system
- Demonstrated working knowledge of recent versions with the Apple Mac OS X operating system
- Familiarity with smartphone OS’s including Droid and iOS
- Familiarity with workstation security configuration, including local and network accounts, user permission, etc
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent customer service skills and with a demonstrated ability to effectively identify customer needs
- Experience providing solutions and follow-up within an established framework or policy
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Effective written communication skills
- May require some early morning, evening, and weekend work
- Sit or stand for extended periods of time at a stationary workstation.
- Regularly walking throughout the office complex working in customer offices and “cube” environments.
- Regularly carry, raise, and lower objects of up to 25 pounds.
- Occasionally be required to work in tight spaces including under desks, behind office furniture, or in telecom closets.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and brief cover letter outlining qualifications and interest in the position March 2, 2018. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If we think you might be a good fit for the role, we will contact you with next steps.
AAAS is an EEO employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees.