Senior Software Engineer
WHO WE ARE:
At ActBlue we build and maintain a powerful online fundraising platform for Democratic campaigns, progressive organizations, and nonprofits working to create a better future. We put power in the hands of small-dollar donors by making it easier for grassroots supporters to make their voices heard and by helping thousands of groups — from presidential candidates to environmental organizations — build people-powered movements.
If you’ve ever given online to a Democratic candidate or progressive organization, chances are you’ve used our software. We’re a tech nonprofit organization, and our team has a big impact on the future of our country. Each and every one of us, from the political activists to the tech innovators to the customer service pros, is fully committed to our mission.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join ActBlue and help us shape the growth of our platform.
Our engineering and product organization is made up of 65+ people (and growing!), and we are organized into cross-functional teams of 3-6 people with clear areas of product focus. We work with Ruby on Rails, Postgres, React, Typescript, GraphQL, and other technologies.
In this role, you will be joining one of our product development teams and partnering with Product, User Experience, and the other product development teams. Together you will build accessible, scalable, and insightful tools that empower progressive supporters as well as the campaigns and causes they champion to foster long-term relationships.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Work with your team to deliver secure, scalable, and reliable features across several applications used by campaigns, causes, and their supporters
- Guide the architecture and execution of technical solutions that prioritize the highest impact opportunities while balancing effort, scope, and other trade-offs
- Advocate for progressive supporters and encourage a people-focused engineering mentality when working cross-functionally
- Collaboratively design and champion best practices and design patterns to improve the maintainability of the platform
- Demonstrate technical leadership through writing documentation, establishing effective monitoring, and fostering clear and audience-oriented communication
- Coach and mentor other engineers on your team and create spaces for individuals to be engaged, valued, and heard
- Receive support from your manager to grow as an individual and increase your impact on the success of your team and the progressive movement
WHAT YOU BRING:
Here is a non-exhaustive list of things we’re looking for:
- Significant experience developing server-side web applications. Experience with Ruby on Rails and React is a bonus
- A track record of delivering features that require collaborating with product and design to resolve ambiguity and prioritize the highest impact work
- An inclusive and generous working style
- Excitement for the learning and growth of yourself and your teammates
- An understanding of performance, scalability, and security concerns
OUR ENGINEERING VALUES:
- We believe that ideas are more important than technologies.
- We understand that the tools we build have real-world consequences for millions of people and take that responsibility seriously.
- We know that code isn’t just a set of instructions for machines, but communication with other humans; style, elegance, and respect are important.
- We believe that an ability to balance paying off technical debt and rapidly completing a project contributes to the health of the codebase, engineering team, and organization.
- We believe that being correct isn’t enough; respect for your colleagues and users is fundamental.
LOCATION AND COMPENSATION:
ActBlue’s headquarters are located in Davis Square in Somerville, MA, just a few blocks from Boston’s MBTA Red Line train. This posting is for a full-time, remote, salaried position. We are authorized to support remote work in CA, CO, FL, GA, IL, MA, MD, MI, MN, NH, NY, OR, PA, RI, SC, TX, UT, VA, VT, DC, WA, and WI.
We offer a competitive salary and a generous compensation package, which includes commuter benefits or home office stipend; fully paid and trans-inclusive health, dental, and vision insurance; an employer-sponsored 401k contribution plan; a generous professional development stipend; three months paid parental leave for all genders, adoptions included; and a flexible time off policy.
Women, people of color, LGBTQIA2S+ individuals, and members of other minority or marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply. ActBlue is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against candidates on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status.
ActBlue cannot at this time sponsor work visas.
How to Apply
Please apply via this link: https://secure.actblue.com/available-positions?gh_jid=5506575002.