Senior Network Engineer
Balboa Park Online Collaborative
The Balboa Park Online Collaborative (BPOC) is a small 501(c)(3) organization that strives to foster a culture of innovation and collaboration among nonprofit organizations through technology. Located in the heart of San Diego’s Balboa Park, we provide a range of IT services and thought leadership to the museum and cultural sector, our clients range from small to large non-profit organizations.
BPOC seeks a Senior Network Engineer responsible for overseeing the design, installation, configuration, and maintenance of a large-scale, multi-venue network infrastructure. Additionally, the Senior Network Engineer will work to maintain existing venue network infrastructures for BPOC clients. The candidate will assist in the mentoring of information technology employees and interns; development of guidelines, standards, and procedures; deployment and maintenance of enterprise application systems and services, information security, user support, training, outreach, and customer service.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide excellent customer service to clients and train staff in best practices for customer service;
- Assist with desktop and server support for a diverse collection of museums and cultural organizations in Balboa Park and beyond;
- Install, support, and maintain hardware and software infrastructure according to best practices, including routers, switches, WiFi controllers, and firewalls;
- Perform network security design and integration;
- Design and implement network topology to meet needs such as VOIP, SAN, collocation, high availability servers, and other projects;
- Diagnose problems and solve issues, often under time constraints;
- Provide network and host-based security, incident response, firewall, and VPN management and administration;
- Implement the necessary controls and procedures to protect information systems assets from intentional or inadvertent modification, disclosure, or destruction;
- Assist in the development of guidelines and procedures for administration and security best practices;
- Provide network documentation;
- Perform regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions;
- Monitor network usage, anticipate problems, and suggest solutions;
- Manage inter-institutional backup network;
- Assist in deployment and maintenance of Windows, Mac, and VMWare servers and hosts;
- Manage projects and maintenance tasks in BPOC’s Redmine ticketing system;
- Work closely with colleagues to meet team goals and improve processes and practices;
- Remain current on emerging technologies via professional groups, trade magazines, internal and external training, independent research and study, and other avenues available;
- Rapidly respond to emergency situations, including direct response as well as coordination of other IT staff, both during and outside of normal business hours;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent customer service skills;
- Strong oral, written, communications, and presentation skills;
- Ability to advise and communicate with non-technical staff and guiding technical decisions;
- Ability to read pertinent documents.
- Ability to manage timelines, dependencies, deliverables, milestones, and resource allocation and management in projects;
- Willingness to engage in mentoring more junior staff members and interns;
- Strong combination of strategic planning, communication, interpersonal, management, and leadership skills;
- Ability to quickly learn new or unfamiliar technologies and products, independently using documentation and online resources;
- Understanding and implementation of network traffic analysis, remote access methods and systems, stateful inspection firewalls, encryption, authentication, and authorization technology.
Education, License and/or Experience:
- B.A. or B.S. in a technical field or a relevant combination of education and experience;
- 5+ years of expertise in implementing, administering, and troubleshooting network infrastructure devices, including firewalls, routers, switches, wireless access points, controllers, and monitoring applications in an enterprise environment;
- Expert-level administration of Windows Server and desktop operating systems;
- Experience with Google Apps, Office 365, and hosted Exchange environments;
- Knowledgeable in application transport and network infrastructure protocols (SSL/TLS, DNS, DHCP, WINS, NTP, FTP, HTTPS, SMTP, CIFS, LDAP, and Microsoft AD), and possess an understanding of how to support these applications/protocols when accessed through VPN and firewall appliances;
- Hands-on technical experience working with VPN technologies (IPSEC, SSL VPN, WebVPN, AnyConnect, DMVPN, etc.);
- SonicWall and Cisco firewall administration;
- Configuring network services using open source technologies on Linux servers;
- VMware Enterprise, VEEAM, and Veritas Backup Exec experience.
“Research shows that women and individuals from underrepresented backgrounds often apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. We recognize that it is highly unlikely that an applicant meets 100% of the qualifications for a given role. Therefore, if much of this job description describes you, then you are highly encouraged to apply for this role.”
How to Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com