Senior Cloud Engineer
Southern Poverty Law Center
We are looking for an experienced cloud engineer to work with our engineering team to develop, implement, optimize, and maintain cloud-based solutions. You will be responsible for deploying and debugging cloud stacks, educating teams on new cloud initiatives, and ensuring the security of the cloud infrastructure.
To be successful as a cloud engineer, you should be able to identify the most optimal cloud-based solutions for our clients and maintain cloud infrastructures in accordance with best practices and company security policies. A top-notch cloud engineer should have excellent troubleshooting skills, stay current with industry trends, and should be a team player.
Primary Job Functions:
- Collaborating with engineering/operations and development teams to evaluate and identify optimal cloud solutions;
- Modifying and improving existing systems;
- Educating teams on the implementation of new cloud technologies and initiatives;
- Designing, developing and deploying modular cloud-based systems;
- Developing and maintaining cloud solutions in accordance with best practices;
- Ensuring efficient functioning of data storage and processing functions in accordance with company security policies and best practices in cloud security;
- Identifying, analyzing, and resolving infrastructure vulnerabilities and application deployment issues;
- Regularly reviewing existing systems and making recommendations for improvements;
- Interacting with clients, providing cloud support, and making recommendations based on client needs;
- Administer and support Active Directory, DNS, and DHCP;
- Maintain appropriate documentation on the environments and applications;
- Rotating on-call schedule;
- Participate in weekend maintenance activities, as required;
- Manage Windows Server operating systems and enterprise storage;
- Produce appropriate documentation for application deployment, configuration, and related processes;
- Enforce change management and compliance processes;
- Help Manage network system backups and provide a comprehensive disaster recovery plan;
- Participate in disaster recovery planning, testing and response;
- Performs routine audits of systems and software to identify potential problem a reason a scheduled basis; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Related Work Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years working experience and expert knowledge of Active Directory administration and troubleshooting;
- 5 years’ experience in a Cloud Engineer/ architecture role or related position. (Azure or AWS)
- Experience with SysOps; and
- High school diploma or GED.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of Azure, AWS, cloud computing system;
- Advanced knowledge using PowerShell for Windows Server, O365, and Azure;
- Strong scripting skills and knowledge of Windows PowerShell;
- Sound working knowledge of Internet/Intranet technologies including security features;
- Sound working knowledge of network infrastructure and operations, including switching, routing, Ethernet, TCP/IP;
- Ability to asses evaluate and use analytical and systematic approach to problem solving;
- Must have good verbal and written communications skills;
- Advanced knowledge in VMWare, Horizon View, Veeam, and vCenter;
- Experience with IIS Web Server deployment best practices, web hosting, databases, networks (LAN, WAN) and patch management;
- Capable of managing multiple tasks and projects simultaneously;
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems and formulate recommendations;
- Skilled at working in tandem with a team of engineers, or alone as required;
- Commitment to ideals of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion; and
- Commitment to fostering an anti-racist work culture and to anti-racist principles and learning.
Other Special Considerations:
This job is performed under general office conditions, and is not subject to any strenuous physical demands or dangerous conditions.
This position is represented by the Washington-Baltimore News Guild.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. These statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
Due to COVID-19, our offices are currently closed, and staff is working remotely. If the position is filled while our offices remain closed, the new employee will work remotely until the offices reopen. We are not asking newly hired employees to relocate while the offices are closed.
An Equal-Opportunity Employer with a Commitment to Diversity
Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and as an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, we consider applicants equally of race, gender, gender identity, color, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, disability, political affiliation, national origin, or prior record of arrest or conviction.
How to Apply
To apply for this role, please follow this link: https://www.splcenter.org/about/careers/jobs?gh_jid=5282284002