For 45 years, Earthwatch has connected people from around the planet with world-class scientists to help change environmental policies, achieve critical conservation goals, and produce groundbreaking findings. We support real objective scientific fieldwork while connecting people to the environment in a personal and often profound way. Our participants contribute directly to urgent global environmental issues and have the adventure of a lifetime in the process.
Each and every staff member genuinely believes in our mission. The work we do isn’t just a job; it’s about ensuring a brighter future for our planet. We are passionate, committed to excellence, and supportive of one another – and we love science! Plus, we occasionally get to go out into the field to collect data, be a part of cutting edge hands-on field science, and experience parts of the world that most people can only dream about.
Earthwatch is seeking an adaptable and knowledgeable Salesforce Administrator. Working from our Boston based office; the position will enhance mission outcomes by managing and implementing cost-effective and strategic technology solutions. Solutions will be focused on increasing revenue generation, efficient operations and process flows, and reporting on mission outcomes.
The Salesforce Administrator will maximize the use of existing databases (Microsoft Dynamics, Access, Excel, Abila, etc.) and software. Working alongside the Head of U.S. IT, the position will play a key role in helping with the design and implementation of Salesforce as a replacement for our current CRM, Microsoft Dynamics. Once Salesforce is implemented, this position will be primarily responsible for its ongoing maintenance, as well as identifying and implementing improvements.
The position is responsible for front and back end technology upgrades, implementing other software tools (soft phones, webinar software, etc.), integrations with Salesforce where appropriate, training staff, and establishing and carrying out data management and security plans.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Business Analysis: Proactively and continuously seek opportunities for technological improvements; Gather requirements from stakeholders in order to understand information flow and user needs; Define, analyze, and prioritize requirements to enable strategic decision-making; Create and validate detailed functional specifications
· System Development: Until MS Dynamics is replaced, for change requests submitted by US staff, this position will gather and provide requirements to our MS Dynamics developer. As a part of implementing Salesforce: Work with vendor partner to plan, design, test, and implement Salesforce. After Salesforce implementation: Manage, test, and implement customization requests, including creating workflow triggers, approval processes, validation rules, alerts, automated email responses, updated layout, etc.
· Report Management: Develop reports, dashboards, and processes to continuously monitor data quality and integrity and to provide users with access to information they need to do their jobs well; engage in helping colleagues to think through the data they need and what it is telling us about our programs
· Platform Integration: Work cross-departmentally to support integrations between web site, financial system, marketing automation software, etc.
· Data Management: Integrate, migrate, and/or automate data transfers between systems (e.g. CRM, Access, spreadsheets, etc.); Establish and train users on a data management strategy; Regularly perform database de-duping and cleanup procedures
· Support Software: Assist with implementation, troubleshooting, upgrades, integration, and staff training. Current software includes: MS Dynamics CRM, SharePoint, Outlook 365, Abila, Zoom, etc. Anticipating implementing: OneDrive, XBP soft phones, and Salesforce (Non-Profit Starter Pack, Sales Cloud, etc.)
· Training & Documentation: Develop and keep up-to-date training plans, materials, and documentation for database and software users; Conduct new user and ongoing training sessions for staff
· 2-4 years of experience with Salesforce and technology as an administrator with increasingly progressive responsibility; preferably in a nonprofit environment and with the Nonprofit Starter/Success Pack
· Experience with requirements collection, report writing, analysis and communication
· Experience of having managed or assisted with at least one major systems upgrade project
· Experience with Data Loader or equivalent, Knowledgeable about AppExchange packages and the ability to research new packages.
· Excellent knowledge of cloud services, Microsoft Office, Windows/Mac OSX, Google Apps, and file sharing systems.
· Understanding of Finance applications, Business Intelligence and analytics tools, SQL querying databases
· Ability to install and troubleshoot software
· Salesforce Administration Certification highly preferred
· Ability to conduct cost/benefit analysis and develop a business case preferred
· A bachelors or advanced degree in computer science or information systems is preferred
· Passion and commitment to Earthwatch’s mission
· Hungry to take on a big challenge
· Desire to make your co-worker’s lives easier
· Personal qualities of integrity and credibility
· Excellent problem solving capability
· Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team, handle and prioritize multiple simultaneous requests, and manage laterally and upwards with a spirit of customer service
· Strong communication, facilitation and interpersonal skills required
· Detail-oriented with strong planning skills, good judgment and consistent follow through.