About the Position
Apex for Youth is currently seeking an experienced and entrepreneurial professional to serve as its first Program Data Analyst. A new position created to support the organization’s recent strategic plan, the Program Data Analyst will lead the design and implementation of a coordinated and comprehensive strategy for measuring and reporting the impact of Apex for Youth’s programming to ensure that the organization deepens and broadens its influence on the lives of underserved children.
The Program Data Analyst, in collaboration with other Apex for Youth departments, will identify key areas for evaluation, build capacity for ongoing self-assessment, and lead efforts to conceptualize strategies designed to improve internal program practices. Working collaboratively with staff, this role provides an exciting opportunity for someone with a background in research and evaluation and a demonstrated commitment to Apex for Youth’s mission.
This position will report to the Director of Operations and work closely with the Director of Programs.
Creating Evaluation Framework
- Work closely with Director of Operations and Director of Programs to build on existing evaluation tools to create a strategic evaluation plan that measures progress and success against three key metrics for both internal program improvement purposes as well as for external reporting purposes
- Design, modify or consolidate all current data collection instruments for Apex for Youth programs such as pre/post-tests, surveys, assessments, interview guides, and focus group protocols; to ensure cohesive, consistent, high quality data collection and analysis
- Analyze collected output, attendance/dosage, and outcome data and prepare reports for internal use and external distribution summarizing analyzed results
- Build capacity for, implement and manage internal systems for conducting ongoing outcomes measurement and assessment
- Oversee the use of evaluation as a tool in accomplishing program/project objectives and ensure that data is being collected accurately, analyzed appropriately and adapted as needed
Reporting to Stakeholders
- Work with stakeholders to refine and respond to their ad hoc requests, and improve their existing reporting and dashboards as necessary
- Make conclusions from your analysis, present your results, and advocate for proposed next steps to key stakeholders
- Work with Director of Operations, Director of Development, and the senior leadership team to effectively communicate results both internally and externally
- Produce quarterly reporting for programmatic outcomes to be disseminated to the Programs and Operations Committee of the the board of directors.
- Work closely with Apex for Youth’s development office to provide outcome information for proposal writing and author text for evaluation plans and logic models;
Guiding Staff to Effective Measurement
- Participate in conversations with staff, board members and other key stakeholders to determine appropriate metrics and benchmarks for organizational success
- Coordinate IT efforts on the development and implementation of a centralized assessment database
- Facilitate communication of policies, procedures, schedules and other logistics associated with the external evaluation
- Create systems for using data to provide ongoing feedback and support to providers for the improvement of program practices.
- 2+ years work experience as a data analyst or in analytics, working with unstructured data
- Expertise in databases (Salesforce knowledge is a plus) and at least one functional or statistical programming language (e.g., Python, R)
- Experience with visualization (e.g. Looker, Tableau)
- Experience completing research, evaluation, or performance management projects in academic enrichment or general youth development.
- Proven ability to effectively partner, collaborate, and communicate with technical and non-technical colleagues
- Working knowledge of statistics a plus