Product Manager at NGP VAN is responsible for delivering minimum lovable products that meet our customer needs and company goals. Your product focus area may include Blast Email, Online Forms, Contact Relationship Management, Data Visualization, and Marketing Automation. You will be expected to analyze user problems, assess user/customer needs, document conditions of acceptance and collaborate closely with team members and stakeholders. This position has no direct reports, but carries a great deal of influence by building and fostering trust amongst team members, customers and management. This position oversees team product planning and shepherds product development efforts by working closely with cross-functional team members. Successful technical product managers are able to build team consensus, gain trust at all levels of the organization, resolve conflict by listening first, I.N.V.E.S.T. in good user stories and deliver discrete, high-value features at the end of every Sprint.
What you’ll be doing and ideally be good at
- You will work closely and collaboratively with Product Directors to update and groom the product backlog. This work involves ensuring backlog items are correctly prioritized, organized, and are accurate to ensure team efficiency.
- You will identify and negotiate minimum viable product solutions that will provide the highest value to current and prospective customers.
- You will support team members in whatever task or role necessary to help deliver team commitments, solve problems or resolve impediments to keep the project on track.
- You will be a positive voice and evangelist for our company products, services and tools.
- You should be comfortable translating domain knowledge, client goals and customer needs into effective user stories.
- You excel at clearly defining the who, what, why (value statement to our user) and requirements that have clear, testable acceptance criteria.
- You are able to recognize and manage problems when they arise, solve them quickly and efficiently. You understand the need to compromise and understand tradeoffs to keep progress moving.
- You’re a master prioritizer, who can organize and understand a wide variety of projects and demands efficiently and communicate chosen priorities to a team.
- You look forward to developing a strong relationship and trust with each team member across cross-departmental teams (including UX, Engineering, DBA). You want to understand what motivates them, how they think things are going, what concerns they have, and how much time it will take to build feature x.
Actual Minimum Requirements
- Understand and support overall company/product visions, as well as minute details; able to balance business objectives and customer objectives
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Must be able to travel at least 2 to 3 times a year; mostly in North America
- Certified Scrum Product Owner or ScrumMaster
- Experience working with a Scrum team or agile development shop
- Previous experience working with nonprofits or at a nonprofit consulting firm
- Experience with digital products such as Blackbaud Luminate Online, Action Network, Engaging Networks, Blue State Digital, ActBlue, ActionKit, Salsa
- Experience with nonprofit enterprise-level CRMs such as Raiser’s Edge, Team Approach, PIDI, ROI Solutions, Salesforce
EveryAction (the nonprofit arm of NGP VAN) and for almost two decades NGP VAN has been providing world class tools to campaigns and political organizations around the country and we’re excited to bring our expertise in integrated communication and fundraising platforms to nonprofits.
We’re a successful growing company of 190 people based in Washington, DC and Boston, MA. We’ve been recognized as one of the fastest growing companies in America by Inc. Magazine for eight years in a row and one of the top 50 fastest growing companies in the DC area by both the Washington Business Journal and SmartCEO.
There’s a relaxed, start-up atmosphere at NGP VAN + EveryAction that’s infectious. Fueled by our love of important causes + game-changing technology, our team is made up of smart, passionate people who truly care about doing more good.
At NGP VAN + EveryAction, you don’t just benefit from a competitive salary, generous health insurance, and some seriously awesome co-workers. We offer perks like plenty of vacation days (no questions asked), annual company retreats (think somewhere sunny and warm), a company-wide hackathon (we provide the food, you bring the ideas), and endless snacks to keep you energized. We invest in our people because we only grow when they do.
NGP VAN believes a diverse, inclusive staff makes us a stronger company and better partner for our clients. Two of our founders are a gay couple. We’re committed to hiring people of all races, ethnicities, ages, sex, genders, sexual orientation or gender identities, marital status, religions, and disabilities. Women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and members of other minority or marginalized groups are encouraged to apply.