Online Communications Intern
Position: Online Communications Intern
Location: New York, NY
Reports to: Digital Communications Manager
Salary: $17/hour at 20-30 hours a week, transit benefits, lunch reimbursement
Founded in 2000, the Arcus Foundation is dedicated to the idea that people can live in harmony with one another and the natural world. Arcus’ work is based on the belief that respect for diversity among peoples and in nature is essential to a positive future for our planet and all of its inhabitants. Arcus is among the most consistent funders of social justice work pushing for the safety, acceptance, and inclusion of LGBTQ people around the world, and of conservation work to ensure the world’s great apes and gibbons can thrive in their natural habitats. The Foundation works globally and has offices in New York City and Cambridge, United Kingdom. To learn more, visit: www.arcusfoundation.org.
Arcus’ Communications team is looking for an intern eager to learn more about communications in a fast-paced environment while contributing to Arcus’ digital properties.
· Work with Digital Communications Manager to plan and execute an editorial calendar and social media strategy through research; relevant and engaging posts; monitoring of community conversations; and interaction with followers.
· Support website maintenance, including drafting text, uploading content, and monitoring for technical issues.
· Research and manage Arcus website Events section, highlighting grantee partners’ upcoming offline and online events to garner public awareness of initiatives and events.
· Monitor release of recent publications authored by grantees and update Arcus Publications section of site according to editorial guidelines.
· Assist Digital Communications Manager in gathering information to action quarterly grantee listings for website.
· Assist in updating and regularizing grantee records in customized database.
· Assist in tracking and responding to social and web metrics.
· Assist in special editorial projects as necessary.
Ideal experience and qualifications:
Interns should be a junior, senior, or alumnus of an undergraduate program; or a graduate or postgraduate student. The internship is part-time, and days and hours are negotiable based on class load and other responsibilities. A commitment of at least one full semester/five months is preferred.
Interns should be based in the New York City area and/or willing to work from Arcus’ New York City office.
Requirements include excellent written and verbal skills, experience with social media and online publishing, education in journalism and/or communications, strong news judgment, demonstrated interest/experience in and/or knowledge of social justice and/or conservation issues, and a sense of humor.
How to Apply