NonProfit Database & It Coordinator
The HistoryMakers, a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit African American video oral history archive, seeks to hire a full time Non Profit Database & IT Administrator to work in a fast-paced, cross-platform MAC/OS, Windows environment. This a newly created position will also serve all of the organization’s database and IT needs from day-to-day tasks to future developments/upgrades. The HistoryMakers operates many integrated hardware and software solutions with a focus on video processing, digital asset management and digital preservation. Work in this position will also include network administrator responsibilities pertaining to updating software, inventorying equipment, setting up workstations for new users and monitoring the state of The HistoryMakers email system. This position must work on site at The HistoryMakers’ offices at 1900 S. Michigan Avenue. COVID vaccine required as a condition of hiring. Your responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Maintenance and upgrade of the organization’s system architecture and IT network system consisting of approximately 30 Windows workstations, 2 Windows-based and MAC video editing stations, a Windows SBS server, a NAS Appliance, Xendata LTO-tape data storage software, a Spectra stack with 40 LTO-8 tape slots, a Facilis FastTracker system and 2 Apple Mac Mini Servers.
- Duties include setting up administrator and service accounts, maintaining system documentation, domain control, tuning system performance, installing system wide software, validating and implementing critical system patches, installing server hardware, and allocating mass storage space.
- Provide front tier support and maintenance for a digital video network and archival network comprised of the organization’s FileMaker databases, a Drupal website, CIVICRM, Python scripts and Java applications ensuring the accuracy, interconnectivity of all systems.
- Develop standards and methods of reliable interoperability amongst all of the software systems.
- Analyze the organization’s database requirements in order to support the organization’s current and future needs.
- Experience with LTO tape libraries and software, Microsoft SBS with Active Directory and Exchange, Mac Mini Servers, Microsoft 365, DNS management, Facilis FastTracker, Python, Java, digital preservation and video processing.
- Detailed-oriented and committed to the organization’s mission with the ability to work 50 hours per week.
- Experienced at system documentation and file management.
- Great communication and project coordination skills.
- Flexible and extremely well organized.
- Able to learn quickly and think carefully and on one’s feet
- Knowledgeable and experienced with FileMaker Pro and managing a CMS system (Drupal, etc.).
- Prior experience with an early stage organization and the desire to work in a non-profit environment
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The HistoryMakers also offers a competitive benefits package that includes 403(b), PTO, health, vision and dental insurance, tuition reimbursement and school loan repayment assistance.
The HistoryMakers, the nation’s largest African American video oral history archive(www.thehistorymakers.org), is a one-of-a-kind collection, housed permanently at the Library of Congress. Its website (www.thehistorymakers.org), accessed by millions worldwide, is sited in Wikipedia and used as a “go to” reference tool. Its digital archive(https://da.thehistorymakers.org user name: email@example.com; password: THMDemo) has been licensed by colleges, universities, K-12 schools and public libraries for use by faculty, students and patrons and is growing in popularity in the wake of COVID19 and the focus on online learning. Within the next few years, The HistoryMakers will become the digital repository for the Black experience: providing much needed content, role models, success pathways and frameworks for a 21st century citizenry that has become increasingly less tolerant, divisive and economically and educationally disparate.
How to Apply