Namati is searching for a freelance WordPress developer (programmer) to help maintain and enhance our organization’s website (https://namati.org) on an ongoing contract basis. The developer will maintain our code base, keep WordPress core code and plugins up to date, fix bugs on a timely basis and make improvements.
Namati’s website was originally built in WordPress with community features provided by the BuddyPress plugin. In 2015 we launched an upgraded site, with content migrated out of BuddyPress and into standard WordPress functionality. With this transition came a slicker new design, SSO, and integration with a Discourse forum for the Global Legal Empowerment Network community discussions.
Since 2015 we have been improving the site’s functionality, upgrading plugins and core, fixing bugs, and adding features as needed with help from a number of freelance developers.
We actively use the website to create a curated list of resources, blogs, pages and other content. We also have invited and welcomed members to join and set up profiles for themselves and their organizations, and participate in community activities including uploading/downloading resources and joining discussions. At this point the website houses more than 1,000 organizations and nearly 4,000 members, more than 1,000 resources, hundreds of news/blog items, and dozens of pages.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Reporting to Namati’s full-time Community Builder, the developer will be responsible for the following ongoing tasks:
- Maintain code base using our private GitHub code repository
- Maintain WP Engine staging and live websites
- Keep core WordPress and plugins up to date with latest updates and security fixes
- Investigate and fix bugs on a timely basis, as requested by Namati staff
- Make incremental improvements and implement new features based on acceptance tests requested by Namati Community Builder
- Test essential functionality before and during rollout of new code and updates
- Collaborate with the Community Builder and team using Flow for task management
The developer will not be responsible for the following:
- Any tasks related to non-WordPress systems we use
- WordPress backups and server maintenance
- Copywriting, managing of content and users
- Writing acceptance tests or creating mockups/wireframes for implementation
Key Qualifications/Must-Haves for the position
- Deep familiarity with wordpress core, plugins, template system
- Ability to manage a large database and write custom database queries in WordPress/MySQL
- Ability to use Git, GitHub and associated tools for maintaining code
- Strong troubleshooting and online research skills
- Nimble, creative, and proactive problem-solving skills
- Ability to respond quickly to fix bugs or address server emergencies, and to devote the required time to work on improvements on an ongoing basis
- Ability to implement functionality based on clearly defined acceptance tests and mockups/wireframes from a web designer
- Ability to communicate technical matters in a less-technical manner
- Comfortable working independently from a remote location and using online collaboration tools (Skype, Google Apps, online task management systems)