Membership & Marketing Director
The Membership and Marketing Director is part of a collaborative, diverse, and inclusive NTEN team. We are all inspired by and accountable to our mission, our community, and each other. The MMD will work collaboratively with the CEO, other staff, and the community to design, evaluate, and implement an accessible and equitable model of membership and multichannel marketing campaigns.
The Membership and Marketing Director reports to the CEO, manages staff directly, and works collaboratively with all colleagues internally, in the community, and in the sector at large. As a member of the NTEN team, the MMD shares in the overall responsibility for the direction of NTEN’s work and delivery of our programs and services. As a membership organization, it is important that we operate in a community-driven model to identify needs and deliver appropriate programs, content, and publications. The MMD is a leader and resource across the organization, ensuring our efforts are connected to the community and aligning goals with our strategic impact.
- Create and oversee multichannel marketing strategy for NTEN’s membership, programs, events, and other products/content
- Design plan for and oversee implementation of marketing campaigns including email marketing and content marketing
- With support from Web Development Manager, IT Director, and other appropriate staff, design and oversee strategy for the NTEN website and other web presence
- In collaboration with Digital Marketing Manager and Graphic Designer, update & maintain organizational brand and style guides
- Look for and create new opportunities for program and organizational visibility through partnerships, ads, content placements, and other marketing channels centering the community
- In collaboration with CEO, design and communicate Membership and fundraising vision and strategy, both annual and long-term
- In collaboration with CEO and Sr Dev Manager, create plans for major donor cultivation and retention
- Engage community members intentionally for feedback, either through campaigns, committee, direct outreach, etc.
- Position NTEN as a sector leader through presentations and other thought leadership
- In collaboration with Operations Director and CEO, create annual departmental budget and planning materials
- Support cross-team collaboration and build systems collectively with other staff for cooperation and success
- Supervise and support two staff (Digital Marketing Manager and Graphic Designer) as well as appropriate contractors/consultants with vision, projects, and professional development
- Ensuring NTEN’s marketing and membership strategy is in line with, enhancing, and cultivating NTEN’s commitment to equity
- Embrace NTEN’s mission, values, and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- 5+ years related work experience, including 2-3 years in the nonprofit technology sector
- Significant marketing experience, including events and online content
- Significant experience with and affinity for technology tools including Google Apps, Analytics, and Adwords, as well as email marketing software, Salesforce, WordPress, and Adobe design suite
- Demonstrated success planning and managing fundraising and/or membership campaigns and programs
- Experience using digital content and tools for, and enthusiasm for technology’s role in serving, social justice and equity
- Ability to communicate a vision as well as specific plans for making progress towards that vision
- Ability to build constructive and effective relationships with inclusion, NTEN values, and professionalism
- Experience with tracking, monitoring, and evaluation of digital campaigns and online engagement
- Significant experience with event marketing and promotion
- Experience managing staff and working with a distributed team
- Demonstrated success working collaboratively with others on common goals
This position is based at the NTEN offices in downtown Portland, Oregon. Domestic travel and extended hours will be required one week per year for the Nonprofit Technology Conference.
This position is full-time, earning $65,000 annually with medical and dental benefits, 401(k) with available matching contributions from NTEN, Flexible Spending Account, and both paid time off and flexible holidays.
We believe that the team and our impact are made greater by the diversity of our staff. NTEN is an intentionally collaborative organization, committed to consensus decision-making and team accountability. Our values and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion guide our decisions through hiring, program design, community engagement, event planning, and beyond. Please review the Working at NTEN page to learn more about our benefits and team.
NTEN envisions a more just and engaged world where all nonprofits use technology skillfully and confidently to meet community needs and fulfill their missions. We support organizations by convening the nonprofit community, offering professional credentials and training, and facilitating an open exchange of ideas.
How to Apply
Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Membership & Marketing Director”. Your cover letter should address your specific interest in NTEN’s mission and include information about previous experience as related to the responsibilities outlined above. Applications will be reviewed as they are submitted, and interviews scheduled during March and April.