Title: Membership Marketing Associate
Supervisor: Membership Director
Location: New York, New York
Last Day to Apply: Applications will be reviewed immediately and accepted until the position is filled
Drug Policy Alliance
The Drug Policy Alliance is the leading organization in the U.S. promoting alternatives to the war on drugs. We envision a just society in which the use and regulation of drugs are grounded in science, compassion, health, and human rights; in which people are no longer punished for what they put into their own bodies but only for crimes against others; and in which the fears, prejudices, and punitive prohibitions of today are no more. Our mission is to advance those policies and attitudes that best reduce the harms of both drug misuse and drug prohibition, and to promote the sovereignty of individuals over their minds and bodies.
While we address the wide range of social, political, and economic issues touched by the war on drugs, nearly all of our efforts fall under three substantive issue areas: ending the criminalization of people who use, possess, or sell small amounts of drugs; replacing marijuana prohibition with a sensible system of regulation and taxation; and ensuring access to effective, evidence-based health interventions for people struggling with problems related to drug misuse. We approach this work with an emphasis on undoing racism and supporting the communities most devastated by the war on drugs.
In the last 15 years, DPA has expanded from its New York headquarters to include eight offices, 70-plus staff, an annual operating budget of approximately $14 million, 35,000 dues-paying members, and more than 300,000 online subscribers. It has a solid track record of success at the local, state, and federal levels and consistent visibility in prominent media and policy circles. For more information, visit our website at www.drugpolicy.org.
The Membership Marketing Associate will support all functions in a development department consisting of six other staff. Primary responsibilities include:
- Assist Membership Director in the development, drafting, and editing of content for direct mail appeals, email solicitations, newsletters, donation pages, social media promotions, and other collateral as needed
- Assist Membership Director with analysis of our mass marketing emails, direct mail campaigns, donation page performance, social media campaigns, and other fundraising campaigns as needed
- Assist Membership Director with the management of vendor and consultant relationships
- Manage the Drug Policy Alliance’s sustaining donor program, handling all acknowledgements and updating recurring credit card information
- Respond to members’ comments and questions received by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), mail or telephone
- Manage charity watchdog accounts (BBB, Charity Navigator, Guidestar)
- Manage state registration compliance
- Update donor records in Salesforce (i.e., change of address notifications after mass mailings)
- Manage mass emails through Silverpop
- Assist development staff with administrative tasks, including check requests, reimbursements, logistics for internal meetings, etc.
- Conduct prospect research on potential donors
- Research and write in-depth profiles on select donors and prospects
- Analyze pool of current and prospective donors using data from wealth capacity screenings to surface potential big-gift donors
- Qualify prospects into portfolios for devo and other staff to cultivate, working closely with the Development Manager
- Assist and/or manage logistics, both leading up to the event and day-of
- Support recruitment efforts during events and conferences (i.e., working the booth)
The ideal candidate will have:
- At least one year experience in nonprofit communications, fundraising, marketing or related fields
- Experience creating fundraising and/or marketing content
- Experience working with Salesforce or other eCRM or enterprise marketing/email tools
- Familiarity with Excel and HTML/CSS a plus
- Excellent verbal, writing and interpersonal communications skills; strong attention to detail, ability to write and deliver work product under deadlines, and commitment to high quality standards
- Commitment to the mission and goals of the Drug Policy Alliance
This is a great position for someone who is at the beginning of their career or those making a switch from another field or life experience.
Terms of Employment
This position requires the candidate to live in the New York metropolitan area. Telecommuting will not be allowed. Some travel required.
DPA offers a competitive salary, based on experience, and a benefits package including health, dental, long-term disability and life insurance, a generous 403(b) plan, and 25 days paid time off.
The Drug Policy Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, disability, personal appearance, family responsibility, political affiliation, or any other status protected by applicable law. Women, people of color, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. We are particularly interested in hiring people who have been adversely affected by the war on drugs.