Manager of Virtual Events
Learning Policy Institute
Who We Are
The Learning Policy Institute (LPI) is a national organization that conducts and communicates independent, high-quality research to shape education policies and improve learning for each and every child. Nonprofit and nonpartisan, LPI connects policymakers at the local, state, and federal levels with the evidence, ideas, and actions needed to strengthen the pre-k to grade 12 education system and address the complex realities facing public schools and their communities. Working with policymakers, researchers, educators, community groups, and others who care about improving public schools, the Institute advances evidence-based policies that support empowering and equitable learning for all children with a focus on students the furthest from opportunity.
LPI seeks an experienced Virtual Events Manager to join its team of research, policy, communication, and operations staff in advancing the organization’s mission to foster education equitable for all children. This position may be based in either our Palo Alto, CA, or Washington D.C. office.
Reporting to the Director of Strategic Communications, and working closely with research and policy content experts, the Virtual Events Manager will plan, produce, and execute virtual events for national audiences. These events aid LPI’s work to bring research, policies, and practices to education researchers, policymakers, and education policy influencers at the local, state, and federal levels. The ideal candidate will have expertise in a range of online meeting platforms and experience leading planning for virtual events. They will be highly organized, adept at working in a fast-paced environment, have excellent communication and listening skills, and enjoy working in a highly collaborative environment.
The Virtual Events Manager will oversee the production and logistics of all LPI virtual events, such as webinars and online conferences. When LPI begins hosting live events again (e.g., Hill briefings, research panels, policy convenings, and press briefings), the Virtual Events Manager may also occasionally support these as well as bandwidth allows. The Virtual Events Manager will also oversee the administrative operations of events, including vendor management and budget.
Working with the Communications team as well as across teams with LPI research and policy experts who serve as content producers, the Virtual Events Manager works to ensure events run smoothly from conception to post-production. This position will be responsible for logistics and administration, working closely with the research and policy content producers to move event planning and production forward with high standards and adherence to deadlines. LPI events include webinars featuring guest speakers and panels and more complex convenings that can combine plenary sessions and breakout sessions and use interactive tools.
The Learning Policy Institute is deeply committed to its staff’s health and well-being and strives to embody the organization’s values within the organizational structure. LPI offers competitive compensation and benefits; prioritizes and provides financial support for professional development; supports diversity, equity, and inclusion work internally; and values a collaborative culture. LPI is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
- Plan, produce and manage a steady stream of virtual events and panels.
- Negotiate contracts and manage platforms for virtual events and manage relationships with vendors and event partners.
- Maintain event budgets and purchase materials and equipment to execute events, as needed.
- Ensure high-quality event experiences for speakers and attendees by scheduling planning meetings, doing tech preparation with speakers, and managing the run-of-show in close coordination with the content lead.
- Work with content leads to coordinate logistics, communication, and web content.
- Support the LPI team and partners in designing event themes, structure, and format.
- Serve as the point person on the day of events to coordinate and support all internal and external participants.
- Oversee development and management of content in preparation for events (e.g., invitations, registrations, slide decks, agenda, and speaker bios) and produced from events (e.g., recordings, notes).
- Coordinate with members of our research and policy teams to build and maintain an events calendar aligned with the release of reports and briefs throughout the year.
- Facilitate post-event debriefs to discuss feedback and brainstorm ideas for improvement.
- Create new documentation and maintain/improve existing documentation, systems, and processes for event planning to ensure efficiency and continuous improvement.
- Maintain CRM database with attendee information and deliver post-event reports.
Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate will possess many of the following professional and personal abilities, attributes, and experiences:
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in a virtual events management role and/or related technical role, preferably in the nonprofit sector, leading event development, and production.
- Deep knowledge and experience working with a variety of online event platforms, e.g., Zoom, WebEx, GoToMeeting, and awareness of current trends and best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and execute complex events.
- Detail-oriented and highly organized with exceptional time-management skills.
- Adept at planning, prioritizing, and working calmly under pressure.
- Excellent verbal, written communications skills.
- Excellent technical skills.
- Experience using CRM systems.
- High regard for quality assurance.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Flexible and able to make mid-flight changes.
- Innovative and focused on solutions and problem-solving.
- Highly collaborative, with demonstrated success working across teams.
- Passion for equity and the right of all children to have the opportunity to learn, especially historically underserved students.
- Self-starter mentality and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- A demonstrated commitment to excellence.
- Ability to execute and exhibit good judgment.
- An optimistic outlook and flexible, innovative nature.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter to: http://jobs.enlist.io/learning_policy_institute/jobs/0d4cdeee-ecb6-44ee-bd8c-2fa8f2f3c9ee?enlist-source=NTEN