Manager, Marketing Technology
Work. Serve. Thrive.
Imagine a place where your talent can make a meaningful difference in peoples’ lives. Working at Feeding America is a uniquely rewarding experience in which our employees work together as vital parts of a much larger mission. We are innovative, mission-focused, diverse, collaborative, values-driven and focused on results.
We are a national, nonprofit organization and the nation’s leading domestic hunger-relief charity. Located in the heart of downtown Chicago, our mission is to feed America’s hungry through a nationwide network of member food banks and engage our country in the fight to end hunger.
The newly created Marketing Technology Manager role is critical to Feeding America’s successful utilization of our technology stack to achieve our ambitious marketing, advocacy, and fundraising goals. Partnering closely with the Director of Marketing Technology, the MarTech Manager serves as both an in-house product manager and the operations lead for our MarTech team. This person’s ultimate goal is to help the team plan, deliver and support an integrated marketing stack that enables Feeding America to achieve data driven, personalized, automated supporter and donor engagement. The ideal candidate is energized by emergent marketing practices and is as comfortable talking about long-term tech strategy with business stakeholders as they are getting their hands into the tools to become a platform expert. They have a penchant for strong processes and enjoy keeping track of the whole amidst a fast-paced day-to-day workflow. They bring the demeanor of a senior consultant and the service orientation of a good collaborator. And they’re a self-starter, excited to learn new technologies, interested in how complex systems operate, and eager to find new ways to help the team in our shared mission to end hunger in America.
Salary Range: $66,000 to $85,000+ Based on Experience
- Serve as a subject matter expert and trusted advisor on Feeding America’s suite of marketing and fundraising technology and a host of other digital and direct marketing platforms. Develop and maintain detailed, hands-on knowledge of Marketing systems, including end-to-end experience setting up campaigns; in-depth understanding of business rules and system configurations; and expertise with the CRM data sync such as sync logic and constituent data field definitions. Build an expert-level understanding of how the MarTech stack is used in order to ensure the day-to-day effectiveness and long-term, continuous optimization that will help us increase the value of Feeding America’s platforms over time.
- Participate in Marketing team planning sessions to understand business needs and opportunities for new or expanded use of MarTech. Document business requirements, conduct platform research, suggest solutions, and manage stakeholder buy-in to support the Marketing team’s ambitious growth goals. Lead the evaluation, selection and contracting of new technologies and implementation/ maintenance firms.
- Work with the MarTech team, stakeholders, and partners such as IT, Philanthropy Operations, and partner agencies to ensure the successful implementation and maintenance of new marketing technologies as part of the MarTech ecosystem.
- Serve as both a consultative and service-oriented technology expert working in close collaboration with teams across Feeding America, including Advocacy, Development, Network Services, Finance, and others.
- Promote high user adoption of the MarTech stack by identifying opportunities for proactive change management and onboarding, including ongoing training and user support. Partner with other MarTech team members and agencies to conduct change management activities.
- Identify, investigate, and solve or recommend solutions for a broad variety of issues related to digital campaigns, online features, product glitches, data sync issues, user interfaces, etc.
- Stay abreast of new and emerging online and mobile technologies and trends, serving as technical knowledgebase for the team.
- Run the day-to-day operations of the MarTech team, including overseeing intake requests and assignments, managing overall workflows, and ensuring the alignment of staff time with departmental and organizational priorities.
- Work with Senior Manager to promote project management best practices across the Marketing department. Identify opportunities for better coordination, tighter processes, and more streamlined workflows related to both marketing technology and campaign execution efforts.
- Oversee service retainers and negotiate contracts with production and technology partner(s) to ensure project prioritization, appropriate agency resource allocation and compliance with Feeding America business rules. Serve as a primary point of contact for MarTech software licenses, managing contract negotiations and license expirations. Maintain ongoing expertise in software feature and functionality enhancements, and supervise optimal utilization of software to maximize investment or recommendation termination of agreements (including CMS, online fundraising platforms, etc.)
- Oversee vendor production, web development tasks and ensuring quality for campaign elements/channels.
- Serve as knowledge management captain of MarTech documentation, maintaining an inventory, identifying missing or necessary documentation, and ensuring regular updates are made by the team.
- Manage Marketing Technology Specialist. Oversee the prioritization of workload, work performance and professional development needs.
- Support Director of Marketing Technology by helping to grow and develop the MarTech team through hands-on coaching and identifying training opportunities for the broader team.
- Where appropriate, act as back-up for the Director, Marketing Technology.
- Other responsibilities, projects and tasks as assigned by supervisor.
- Mission Focused – Demonstrates a commitment to Feeding America’s mission through word and action. Is committed to keeping people facing hunger at the center of our work and strives to translate this commitment into action on a daily basis. Willing to advocate for people facing hunger and serve as an ambassador for Feeding America inside and outside of work.
- Embraces Equity, Diversity and Inclusion – Demonstrates a personal commitment to valuing different backgrounds and life experiences through word and action. Takes personal actions to build an inclusive culture that ensures everyone can fully contribute based on their unique talents, skills and perspectives and feels welcomed and valued. Commits to driving equitable solutions to address root cause issues by incorporating an equity framework in their daily work. Committed to continuous personal EDI development.
Required Leadership Competencies
- Understands our Business: Understands operation of own team within the broader context of department strategy and priorities. Actively develops a knowledge of, and relationships with, key stakeholders external to the department.
- Leverages Functional Expertise: Leverages advanced functional knowledge to shape decisions and plans. Uses professional experience to fix processes and make improvements to practices, policies, and procedures. Tracks latest practices and innovations and ways these could improve processes within the organization.
- Collaborates Internally & Externally: Actively supports collaboration within and between departments and with key stakeholders. Seeks input and resolves issues with a focus on mission and what’s best for the people we serve.
- Continuously Improves: Analyzes current practices, policies, and procedures to find areas for improvement and incorporate best practices. Leverages continuous improvement tools and mindset when designing and implementing projects and processes. Committed to team and personal learning.
Required Technical Competencies, Experience & Certifications
- Six – eight plus years of professional experience in online marketing, and/or marketing technology; including experience managing staff, cross-departmental projects, agencies and budgets.
- Strong technical acumen and ability to clearly translate business needs into technical requirements.
- Exceptional organization and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with a strong sense of meeting deadlines, attention to detail and follow-up while prioritizing project load. Formal PMP training a plus.
- Non-profit experience OR experience marketing something that is intangible preferred.
- Consultative demeanor with growth mindset, excellent problem-solving capabilities, and a comfort with learning new skills.
- Experience with nonprofit marketing technologies (e.g. EveryAction), nonprofit CRM (e.g. Salesforce/NGOC), CMS platforms (e.g. Drupal) and marketing automation platforms.
- Strong curiosity and interest in keeping up with marketing trends with a passion for new technology and channels.
- Must be able to work and thrive in a fast-paced working environment, with occasional work outside standard business hours.
Feeding America embraces a philosophy that recognizes and values diversity. Our goal is to attract, develop, retain, and promote a talented diverse workforce in a culture where all employees will contribute to their fullest potential.
How to Apply
Our national office staff—headquartered in Chicago with an office in Washington, D.C. and remote employees across the US —number more than 250.
Thank you for your interest in a position with the Feeding America National Office. Once you have submitted your application and qualifications for a current opening, you will be notified via email to confirm receipt of your application.
A cover letter is required with your application.
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas.