Manager, Email Marketing
Work. Serve. Thrive.
Imagine a place where your talent can make a meaningful difference in peoples’ lives. Working at Feeding America is a uniquely rewarding experience in which our employees work together as vital parts of a much larger mission. We are innovative, mission-focused, diverse, collaborative, values-driven and focused on results.
We are a national, nonprofit organization and the nation’s leading domestic hunger-relief charity. Located in the heart of downtown Chicago, our mission is to feed America’s hungry through a nationwide network of member food banks and engage our country in the fight to end hunger.
Devise and execute an email and SMS marketing strategies that engage subscribers, convert prospects and retain donors to increase channel revenue for the organization. Partner with Digital Engagement team members to support online fundraising appeals through other digital channels.
Salary Range: $66,000 to $85,000+ Based on Experience
- Serves as the channel lead for all email and SMS business to consumer marketing activities across the organization.
- Manages and is responsible for the maintenance of the messaging calendar, automated email messages, audience logic and other business rules, stationaries and software agreements.
- Develops the annual budget forecasts, and email & SMS marketing plans for fundraising and engagement in collaboration with Marketing leadership and agency partners to engage subscribers, convert prospects and retain donors.
- Manages day-to-day execution of the email and SMS programs, including campaigns and other strategic channel initiatives to improve program performance through customization, automation and optimization.
- Provide strategic direction to agency partners during briefing process
- Review deliverables, route for internal feedback, provide consolidated and constructive feedback
- Manage project timelines for the internal team and external partners
- Oversee campaign set-up for successful deployment
- Monitors agency expenses to ensure projects stay within budget
- Writes and edits copy for email and related content
- Collaborates with Digital Media team members on paid & organic initiatives to grow the email and SMS file, as well as cultivate existing supporters.
- Partners with Direct Marketing team and agency partners on integrated cross-channel fundraising strategies and programs with a focus on high-value monthly donors and mid-level donors.
- Communicates online business needs and technical requirements to Marketing Technology team to execute online engagement and fundraising campaigns and initiatives.
- Manages and executes the measurement of the email and SMS channels, including development of performance reports and reporting cadence, testing and optimization.
- Monitors key performance indicators and evolves channel strategy to meet program goals and improve channel performance.
- Oversees email deliverability needs and manages audience segmentation and file hygiene to optimize file health and performance and recommends best practices.
- Provides digital marketing consultation and executional support to the Development team for major donor and planned giving email initiatives; coordinates with Corporate Partnership team to secure matches for digital campaigns.
- Works with the Government Relationships team to maintain line of sight into advocacy email program, understand strategy, and identify areas of collaboration, dependencies, and possible benefits or risks to larger file.
- Mission Focused – Demonstrates a commitment to Feeding America’s mission through word and action. Is committed to keeping people facing hunger at the center of our work and strives to translate this commitment into action on a daily basis. Willing to advocate for people facing hunger and serve as an ambassador for Feeding America inside and outside of work.
- Embraces Equity, Diversity and Inclusion – Demonstrates a personal commitment to valuing different backgrounds and life experiences through word and action. Takes personal actions to build an inclusive culture that ensures everyone can fully contribute based on their unique talents, skills and perspectives and feels welcomed and valued. Commits to driving equitable solutions to address root cause issues by incorporating an equity framework in their daily work. Committed to continuous personal EDI development.
Required Leadership Competencies
- Translates Strategy to Operational Goals: Translates project goals into SMART team and/or individual goals consistent with overall department strategy. Defines clear project deliverables and monitors and reports against progress.
- Manages Risk: Understands and adheres to organization processes to ensure prudent risk management. Exercises sound judgment in making operational decisions. Identifies and raises issues that could threaten Feeding America’s reputation and credibility
- Collaborates Internally & Externally: Actively supports collaboration within and between departments and with key stakeholders. Seeks input and resolves issues with a focus on mission and what’s best for the people we serve.
- Communicates Effectively: Effectively communicates project and operating priorities to key stakeholder audiences that may include staff, network food bank members, donors and other audiences. Adjusts message and content based on feedback provided. Communicates clearly and effectively through verbal and written communication across individual, small group and formal presentation settings
- Leverages Functional Expertise: Leverages advanced functional knowledge to shape decisions and plans. Uses professional experience to fix processes and make improvements to practices, policies, and procedures. Tracks latest practices and innovations and ways these could improve processes within the organization.
Required Technical Competencies, Experience & Certifications
- Five plus years of professional experience in email marketing, digital marketing, non-profit fundraising and/or direct response marketing required.
- Excellent writing, editing and communications skills required. Experience in developing creative campaigns and direct marketing offers which inspire action.
- Proficient with HTML and/or other web languages required.
- Working knowledge of email deliverability concepts, reporting, and best practices.
- Ability to analyze email deliverability data and optimize accordingly. Experience in analyzing and manipulating data, particularly in Excel.
- Experience with database management and email service provider preferred, EveryAction preferred.
Feeding America embraces a philosophy that recognizes and values diversity. Our goal is to attract, develop, retain, and promote a talented diverse workforce in a culture where all employees will contribute to their fullest potential.
How to Apply