Manager, Advocacy – Digital (Washington, DC)
Work. Serve. Thrive.
Imagine a place where your talent can make a meaningful difference in peoples’ lives. Working at Feeding America is a uniquely rewarding experience in which our employees work together as vital parts of a much larger mission. We are innovative, mission-focused, diverse, collaborative, values-driven and focused on results.
We are a national, nonprofit organization and the nation’s leading domestic hunger-relief charity. Located in the heart of downtown Chicago, our mission is to feed America’s hungry through a nationwide network of member food banks and engage our country in the fight to end hunger.
The Government Relations Team advances a policy agenda that increases both private and government food and funds for network food bank members, leads to federal regulations and laws that support reducing domestic hunger, and positions Feeding America as the leading authority on hunger and hunger-related issues. The position builds digital advocacy capacity and engagement among network food bank members and the people we serve, manages legislative advocacy campaigns, and supports growing the number of digital advocates.
Salary Range: $66,000 to $85,000+ Based on Experience
- Manages the development and implementation of digital grassroots advocacy strategies to advance Feeding America’s public policy agenda and increase engagement of advocates.
- Manages Feeding America’s digital advocacy program – including email, SMS, social media, HungerNet, FeedingAmericaAction.org, and government relations-related FeedingAmerica.org pages – by drafting content, designing creative communications, collaborating across the organizations and coordinating with external consultants.
- Manages development of advocacy content including toolkits for network members and digital advocates, including blog posts and social media assets.
- Manages digital ads projects ranging from digital acquisition program issue advocacy ads.
- Manages tracking and reporting out on digital trends, metrics, and learnings related to our advocacy digital platforms. Also, ensures reporting latest digital advocacy trends to the network.
- Contributes to network and external conferences and speaking engagements on digital advocacy on behalf of the government relations team.
- Provides counsel to VP of Advocacy and Director of Advocacy on digital advocacy strategies and learnings to help improve the program.
- Mission Focused – Demonstrates a commitment to Feeding America’s mission through word and action. Is committed to keeping people facing hunger at the center of our work and strives to translate this commitment into action on a daily basis. Willing to advocate for people facing hunger and serve as an ambassador for Feeding America inside and outside of work.
- Embraces Equity, Diversity and Inclusion – Demonstrates a personal commitment to valuing different backgrounds and life experiences through word and action. Takes personal actions to build an inclusive culture that ensures everyone can fully contribute based on their unique talents, skills and perspectives and feels welcomed and valued. Commits to driving equitable solutions to address root cause issues by incorporating an equity framework in their daily work. Committed to continuous personal EDI development.
Required Leadership Competencies:
- Continuously Improves: Analyzes current practices, policies, and procedures to find areas for improvement and incorporate best practices. Leverages continuous improvement tools and mindset when designing and implementing projects and processes. Committed to team and personal learning.
- Communicates Effectively: Effectively communicates project and operating priorities to key stakeholder audiences that may include staff, network food bank members, donors and other audiences. Adjusts message and content based on feedback provided. Communicates clearly and effectively through verbal and written communication across individual, small group and formal presentation settings.
- Leverages Functional Expertise: Leverages advanced functional knowledge to shape decisions and plans. Uses professional experience to fix processes and make improvements to practices, policies, and procedures. Tracks latest practices and innovations and ways these could improve processes within the organization.
- Collaborates Internally & Externally: Actively supports. collaboration within and between departments and with key stakeholders. Seeks input and resolves issues with a focus on mission and what’s best for the people we serve.
Required Technical Competencies, Experience & Certifications
- BA/BS in communications, government affairs, marketing, political science, public policy, sociology or social work strongly preferred.
- Five plus years’ digital experience in issue advocacy, grassroots mobilization, external affairs or issue campaigns required.
- Experience with CRMs (particularly Luminate, EveryAction, Salesforce, Quorum), using social media platforms for advocacy engagement required.
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
Feeding America embraces a philosophy that recognizes and values diversity. Our goal is to attract, develop, retain, and promote a talented diverse workforce in a culture where all employees will contribute to their fullest potential.
How to Apply