Information Technology Internship
About the Oakland Museum of California
The Oakland Museum of California strives to provide innovative learning opportunities to students of diverse backgrounds and areas of study that are interested in working with a multidisciplinary museum that puts visitors and community at the center of our work.
The Oakland Museum of California values are fundamental to our institutional culture and guide our work together.
- Excellence: We are committed to excellence and working at the highest standards of integrity and professionalism.
- Community: We believe everyone should feel welcome and part of our community, both within the Museum and with our visitors and neighbors.
- Innovation: We embrace innovation and calculated risk-taking to achieve our mission.
- Commitment: Our work at the Museum demonstrates a sense of purpose and a shared accountability for the institution’s success.
OMCA is one of the top-rated Bay Area museums to explore California art, history, and natural sciences. Recognized as one of the best things to do with kids in Oakland and the entire San Francisco Bay Area, we are really for everyone from serious museum buffs to international visitors. Our collections rank us as one of the top science, history, and art museums in the East Bay, as well as the greater San Francisco Bay Area. We are at 1000 Oak Street, Oakland, California, across the street from BART.
About the Information Technology Internship
The Information Technology Intern will participate in the planning and design of an updated organizational website. The position will help identify website needs and develop a project scope for a website revision.
In this internship, you will work closely with the IT Team to develop this key organizational website and will learn about, and get direct experience in:
- Workplace research techniques and project plan development
- Internal stakeholder needs assessment
- Community needs assessment
- Best practices in web navigation and accessibility
- Conducting research and informational interviews
- Presenting program ideas and outlining implementation of programs
- Prior experience or educational courses in computer science or web design
- Attention to detail
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Strong command of written English language
- Experience with Drupal, PHP, and HTML
- Knowledge of website requirements gathering, wireframe, and prototype development
- An understanding of Content Management Systems and software selection processes
- At least 18 years of age
Details & Benefits
- 11-week program starting June 17, 2019
- $16.50/hour, 20 hours/week
- Annual membership to OMCA
- Free admission to reciprocal museums
- Discounts in the OMCA Store and Blue Oakcafé
- Participation in Institutional Membership benefits such as Cultural Connections, American Alliance of Museums (AAM), and more
- Exclusive educational programs with preeminent artists and thinkers
- Applicants must apply to the Information Technology Internship posting through OMCA’s online portal here: https://omcaup-museumca.icims.com/jobs/intro
- Submissions must include a resume & cover letter
- Deadline to apply is Feb 22, 2018
How to Apply