Information Systems Manager
The Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute is a global nonprofit organization committed to realizing a free, just, and equitable society. Since its founding in 1949, the Institute has been driving change through dialogue, leadership, and action to help solve the most critical challenges facing communities in the United States and around the world. Headquartered in Washington, DC, the Institute has a campus in Aspen, Colorado, and an international network of partners.
The Aspen Network of Development Entrepreneurs (ANDE)
The Aspen Network of Development Entrepreneurs (ANDE) is a program within the Aspen Institute. ANDE is a global membership network of organizations that propel entrepreneurship in emerging markets. ANDE members provide critical financial, educational, and business support services to small and growing businesses (SGBs) based on the conviction that SGBs will create jobs, stimulate long-term economic growth, and produce environmental and social benefits. Ultimately, we believe that SGBs can help lift countries out of poverty.
Launched with 34 members in 2009, ANDE now comprises over 290 members who collectively operate in more than 150 countries. Members of ANDE include both for and nonprofit investment funds, capacity development providers, research and academic institutions, development finance institutions, foundations and corporations from around the world. Based in Washington, D.C. with multiple offices in emerging markets, the ANDE team works hard to support members globally, and locally, while building strong ecosystems for entrepreneurial growth. ANDE develops unique initiatives to address systemic challenges and seize opportunities that can only be approached through collective action.
The Information Systems Manager provides technology-related vision and leadership for the development and implementation of Information Technology (IT) initiatives that help the Aspen Network of Development Entrepreneurs (ANDE) run efficiently while maintaining its leadership in the international development community. This is a key management position, located in Washington, DC, that is responsible for aligning the IT strategy and supporting policies with the program’s business strategy and with the policies/strategy/services provided by the Aspen Institute’s central IT Department. This individual will report to the Senior Manager, Chapter Operations.
Under general direction, this position plans, organizes, and directs the technical activities of ANDE; is responsible for the development of the program’s overall information systems strategy; coordinates program-wide information systems planning and ensures that mid- to long-term plans are prioritized and consistent with resource constraints; oversees the development of new automated systems and programs as well as the modification and enhancement of existing systems to meet user needs; and coordinates the program’s acquisition of new and replacement software and manages customer support for applications.
This position also coordinates with the Aspen Institute’s central IT Department (ITS) on daily break/fix support operations and ensures that technical strategy, policy, and procurement are consistent with broader Institute enterprise architecture and the information security program.
The Information Systems Manager will have in depth knowledge about ANDE’s technology systems and understand intimately how the systems contribute to the goals of our work—strengthening members, building regional chapters, bringing more attention and funding to the sector—all ultimately to improve lives through supporting small and growing businesses in developing countries.
By understanding the day to day needs of the ANDE staff and our members, this role will support all staff by creating and managing comprehensive, integrated systems that are constantly being improved for user experience. This role will also train staff in the systems and help staff feel confident in using all systems for their individual purposes.
- Oversee the operations of program-wide systems, including critical CRM tools
- Ensure security for the program’s systems and data leveraging Aspen ITS enterprise security solutions where appropriate
- Establish policies and procedures for the acquisition, development, and implementation of new systems and the modification of existing systems, ensuring consistency with ITS policy/procedure
- Evaluate off-the-shelf software and work with ITS to make recommendations to ensure compatibility and effectiveness
- Work with ITS to provide technical assistance to program team members
- Oversee vendors performing specialized technical tasks
- Ensure that software development projects are delivered on schedule and within budget and that they meet program and technical requirements
- Ensure that information systems and associated processes support operational requirements
- Review requests for software and make recommendations, as appropriate, on alternative system options
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Strategic Planning — ensure that IT initiatives have clear business goals and success metrics that align with ANDE IT Strategic Plan
- Technology transfer — provide enabling technologies that make it easier for members, chapters, funders and other constituents to engage with ANDE’s services as well as do more with less
- Sourcing — make vs. buy decisions relative to outsourcing vs. in-house provisioning of technology services
- Partnerships — establishing strategic relationships with key technology vendors, the Aspen Institute staff, consultants, and colleague organizations
- Coordination — Ensure adherence to IT policies, standards, and technical support procedures as well as alignment with organization-wide enterprise architecture and planning
- Applications development — new and existing for enterprise initiatives and overall coordination for all divisions
- Ensure the protection of IT assets and the integrity, security and privacy of information entrusted to or maintained by the department, working closely with the central IT department for information security operations as well as incident response.
Knowledge, Education and Experience
- Strong business orientation, with broad experience in managing IT or related activities in the nonprofit/association sector a plus
- Extensive familiarity with Salesforce, preferably in the non-profit space. Familiarity with NPSP is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to use IT to solve business issues while also managing costs and risks
- Ability to identify and evaluate new technological developments and gauge their appropriateness for the business
- Ability to communicate with and understand the needs of nontechnical internal clients
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage central IT resources and applications as well as coordinate divisional resources and initiatives
- Ability to conceptualize, launch, and deliver multiple IT projects on time and within budget
- Ability to mesh well with the existing management team by being a good listener, a team builder, and an articulate advocate for the technology vision
- Ability to successfully manage all aspects of technology, including software development, system maintenance, and Web services
- Solid understanding of information security fundamentals as well as applicable regulatory compliance requirements
- Comfortable with developing and supporting solutions across time zones for remote/international workers.
- Superb leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to function in a collaborative and collegial environment
- Sensitivity to others
- High levels of integrity and intelligence
- Excellent judgment
- Ability to think conceptually, strategically, and pragmatically
- Ability to generate trust and build alliances with coworkers
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, business administration with a focus on MIS, or a closely related field from an accredited college or university, with a master’s degree desirable
- Five years of IT management experience, or supervisory experience in a similar capacity
- Salesforce administration certification preferred