Help Desk/Junior Network Administrator
Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities (CBPP) is one of the nation’s leading policy institutes focusing on federal and state issues that affect low-income families and individuals. It has a national reputation for conducting rigorous research and analysis, developing policy ideas and strategies, shaping a broad array of federal and state policy debates, and influencing policy outcomes. The Center’s expertise spans a range of areas including federal and state budget and tax policy, health care, social insurance, nutrition, housing, income support, and other policies that are important to low-income people.
The Help Desk/Jr. Network Administrator will work as part of a team of seven to provide technical assistance and support related to computer systems, hardware, or software. Responds to queries, runs diagnostic programs, isolates problems, and determines and implements solutions. Work hand in hand with IT staff to proactively solve problems, keep systems up and running, and maintain functionality of the team and services. A highly reliable information technology system is crucial to the success of our organization.
- Responsible for receiving and tracking Help Desk tickets and ensure that tickets are resolved and closed in a timely and satisfactory manner against SLA.
- Provides technical assistance and support either in person or over the phone for incoming queries and issues related to computer systems, software, and hardware.
- Provides phone-based Help Desk support to remote users.
- Maintains daily performance of computer systems.
- Configures, installs, and supports desktop computers, laptop computers, handheld devices, printers, monitors, portable data storage devices, and other general peripherals. Relocates such equipment as required.
- Installs, modifies, and repairs hardware and software.
- Configures IT devices for secure operation, including installation of security software, software updates, and other configurations as required.
- Diagnoses hardware and software failures, communicates the remediation plans to users, and provide status updates.
- Supports desktop maintenance, including inventory and software distribution, and security maintenance, including virus updates and patch management.
- Provides technical support to end-users for meeting management by responding to meeting requests and providing audio/visual support during meetings and conferences including audio recording, broadcasting, robotic camera operation, bridge lines, projectors, etc.
- Works with Senior IT Management to resolve technical problems with Local Area Networks (LAN), Wide Area Networks (WAN), and other systems.
- Performs daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs.
- Ability to handle all aspects of a task from analysis to final resolution.
- Develops end-user documentation and instructions.
- Performs daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery tapes or discs are created, and media is recycled and sent off site as necessary.
- Escalates more involved problems to the appropriate Tier 2 and Tier 3 IT staff.
- Assists in the development of ongoing training and documentation for users.
- Conducts new staff IT orientations.
- Creates and maintains programmatic and technical documentation.
- Assists and/or manages tasks involving maintenance and enhancements of existing systems or implementation of new functionality.
- Ability to write proper documentation.
- Ability to provide support to all level of users.
- Effectively translate complex, technical concepts into an easy-to-understand language to assist non-technically oriented customers.
- Assists engineers and administrators with the management and operation of the back-end infrastructure to include servers, backup systems, email and database systems, file systems etc.
- Assists in the provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software.
- Daily operation and routine admin tasks for in-house and outsourced CBPP technology assets, including those in the Cloud.
- Able to set up and manage accounts in Active Directory, Exchange, SharePoint, etc.
- Maintains CBPP’s wireless network.
- Works flexible hours, including some weekends and evenings.
- Performs testing in the Devlab for any new hardware, software, or applications that need to be deployed at the Center.
- Assists in the maintenance of the phone system.
- Interprets and applies policies, guidelines, and procedures of the organization.
- Degree in Information Systems, Computer Science or related technical discipline or equivalent 5+ years of work experience
- A+, Network+, MCP, MCITP or similar certifications are required
- Excellent organizational skills and customer service skills and the ability to work with a diverse user base
- Knowledge of the ITIL methodology and change management processes
- Experience with administration and configuration of a Microsoft Windows environment including Windows 10 and Server 2016
- Some understanding of SharePoint Online and Office 365 administration
- Knowledge of emerging technology solutions, industry trends, and progressive operations methodology
- Experience in managing personal computers and various COTS (commercial-off-the-shelf) application software packages in a multi-user environment
- Advanced-level expertise with Microsoft Office
- Must be able to lift and move equipment up to 50 pounds in weight
- Able to work extended and flexible hours
- VoIP experience a plus
- Experience with the nonprofit sector or law firm environment is a plus
Salary commensurate with experience; excellent benefits, including generous health insurance options and dental coverage, life and long-term disability insurance, retirement, MERP, DCAP, and generous vacation, sick leave, and holiday schedules.
The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities (CBPP) is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and welcomes diversity in the workplace and strongly encourages all qualified persons to apply regardless of any protected status under federal or local law including Minorities/Women/Disabilities/Veterans.
How to apply
**Please submit a cover letter with your application.
How to Apply