Help Desk Assistant
Doctors Without Borders
Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that delivers impartial medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
The Systems Department in the U.S. office of Doctors Without Borders/ Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) acts like the organization’s central nervous system, providing the vital information infrastructure to ensure the smooth functioning of all its operations. The Systems Department is responsible for building, configuring and maintaining the technical architecture, both physical and virtual, which ensures MSF can achieve the ambitions of its mission.
The Help Desk Assistant reports directly to the Systems Associate on the Systems team and provides dedicated technical and customer service support for MSF-USA staff, volunteers, Board members, and interns. S/he investigates and secures resolution of software and hardware problems for over 200 on-site and remote end-users at MSF-USA.
At all times, the Help Desk Assistant is expected to represent the Systems department in a professional way, engaging with MSF stakeholders respectfully and politely regardless of the questions or complaints s/he may be asked to address.
The primary objective of the role is to provide Level 1 and 2 support for ticket resolution. This will be achieved by troubleshooting, diagnosing and resolving incidents/requests.
S/he also plays a critical role in the daily support of MSF-USA’s IT operations, ensuring end-users’ technical needs are met and that their requests are fulfilled quickly, completely, and in full compliance with the Systems Department’s standards of service. From time to time the Help Desk Assistant will be called upon to support Systems department projects.
The Help Desk Assistant will manage service requests through their entire lifecycle from the first point of contact through to resolution, proactively keeping the customer informed of progress.
Under the supervision of the Systems Associate, the Help Desk Assistant will occasionally be required to provide in-person support for the technical/audio-visual needs of MSF-USA staff in meetings, presentations and special events including using collaboration technologies such as WebEx, Zoom, Skype for Business, etc. Accordingly, the Assistant must be willing to work flexible hours, as necessary, to ensure events which occur outside of normal business hours are adequately supported. In addition, the Help Desk Assistant will occasionally be required to provide trainings for AV and teleconferencing at MSF-USA.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Help Desk Coverage and End-User Support (90%)
- Provides Level 1 and 2 support for end-users experiencing problems with all technologies (hardware, software, and telephony) officially supported by the MSF-USA Systems Department.
- Provides timely updates to end-users on case resolution status.
- Maintains required documentation of tickets in Zendesk.
- Documents learnings and procedures in the Zendesk Knowledge Base.
- Installs and configures computers, software, and peripheral equipment; performs basic computer maintenance, cleaning, and repair for Windows and Apple OS devices.
- Performs the relocation and reconnection of end-user computing equipment under the supervision of the Systems Associate.
- Maintains the tracking and inventory of technical equipment, both issued to end-users and items for repair under the direction of the Systems Associate.
- Keeps the IT Workshop organized and conducts regular inventory reviews to track assets and identifies equipment to be ordered to maintain agreed stock levels.
- Supports the Systems Associate in the preparation of statistical reports on Help Desk activities, such as help desk incident overview, speed to case resolution, and categorization of end-user requests.
- Supports the technical/audio-visual needs of MSF-USA staff in meetings, presentations and special events as required.
- Under the supervision of the Systems Associate, provides technical/audio-visual trainings
- Adheres to department procedures and policies with a primary focus on best practices for information security and data protection.
Special Projects (10%)
As assigned by the Systems Help DesAssociate and Systems Department Leadership, participates in various Systems Department projects and initiatives, including but not limited to:
- Implementation of procedures related to business continuity, disaster recovery, and information security.
- Data cleanup projects and office-wide configuration changes on desktop and laptop computers
- Migration support for changes in hardware of software systems
- Other projects which are aligned with individual skill sets, work experience, and special interests.
Although the Help Desk Assistant does not directly supervise any full-time staff, s/he will on occasion be requested to provide assistance in the hiring, onboarding and supervision of Systems Department interns.
Extent of Public Contact
The Help Desk Assistant will have frequent contact with people outside the organization, including vendors, consultants, volunteers, donor advisory boards and members of the general public.
This position requires remaining productive and focused within the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Who you are
For this position it is important that you are:
- A communications specialist, diplomat, and collaborator as much of the daily duties revolve around interaction with different staff members.
- Technically proficient in solving typical end-user problems which includes hardware and software.
- Detail-oriented and highly organized, with the ability to multitask and prioritize in service to the IT/AV needs of MSF-USA.
- An enthusiastic team player, partnering with coworkers to ensure department goals are achieved.
- Have solid experience in a helpdesk/service desk or technical support environment for a minimum of two years plus a Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated ability to set up computer workstations and peripherals and to troubleshoot basic hardware and software issues, especially as they pertain to the use of Office365 and Microsoft Outlook.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Windows and Macintosh operating systems.
- Familiarity with Active Directory and setting up user accounts.
- Experience in NGO and private sector
- Experience in using Zendesk
Starting salary high 40s to low 50s (commensurate with experience
Desired Hiring Date
Working Time %
How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply, send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com, Attn: “Help Desk Assistant”
No phone calls and emails please. Applications without cover letter will be disregarded.
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
If applicant is not based in New York, please indicate in cover letter ability to relocate. Please note that neither relocation assistance nor visa sponsorship will be offered for this position.
No calls please. EOE.
Application Deadline: August 16, 2019