Front End Developer
Smile Train is a 501(c)(3) organization based in New York City with a sustainable approach to a single, solvable problem: cleft lip and palate. Founded in 1999, Smile Train focuses on providing free cleft-related training for doctors and medical professionals. We have assisted more than 1,000,000 children to date. Check out our website at smiletrain.org to learn more.
Smile Train is looking for an up-and-coming, but passionate, design-obsessed, Front-End Developer to join our MarTech team. If you love creating beautiful, well performing, responsive web pages, then this could be the right opportunity for you. As a member of the MarTech team, you will be working closely with different product stakeholders to deliver technical solutions to complex problems across our global landscape. The Front-End Developer will be critical in implementing interactive pages across diverse Content Management Systems within a small but specialized team. Those with both creativity and best-practice experience are encouraged to apply.
- Web Design / Development
- Design, code, test, and maintain website content on Smile Train’s domestic and international sites, microsites, and landing pages.
- Create wireframes, user flows, mockups, and prototypes to guide design and functionality.
- Work with internal stakeholders to gather requirements based on technical and UI / UX needs.
- Perform tests to ensure mobile and cross-browser compatibility.
- Site and Page optimizations
- Perform UI / UX testing and identify areas that need improvement.
- Look for and implement code based optimizations to increase on page speed and ensure SEO best practices.
- Identify aesthetic UI changes for testing (A/B and/or multivariate) and work with testing tools (i.e. Optimizely) to improve the site experience and increase conversion.
- Standardizing Styles
- Build and manage web style guides and assets (colors, buttons, headlines, etc.), using a Design Language System approach.
- Identify existing web component styles, merge duplicates, and streamline their future use.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Responsive Web Design (framework/custom)
- Experience with GIT and the Gitflow workflow
- Experience with Gulp / Grunt for SASS, JS for pre-processing
- Proficiency with at least one content management system (Drupal preferred) and ability to modify / extend templates and site functionality.
- Strong understanding of designing intuitive site functionality, interaction, site architecture, user interfaces, and navigation.
- Strong design portfolio and understanding of typography, layout, color theory, usability, and design principles.
- Good working knowledge of React/Redux, AngularJS, SPA
- Adobe Photoshop / Adobe XD
- Knowledge of Salesforce and Drupal/Wordpress a plus
- Backend experience in PHP a plus
- Knowledge of AWS services like S3, CloudFront, and/or other hosting environments
- Knowledge of Braintree, Classy, Stripe
- Comfortability with command line work
Smile Train is committed to diversity among its employees and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
To apply, please complete the application through this link. Include your CV and a cover letter that describes why you believe you would be a good fit for Smile Train and this role.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, but we encourage interested applicants to apply as soon as possible.
How to Apply