Exhibit developers are the primary staff responsible for exhibit creation, from idea generation and concept development through design and fabrication. Although exhibit ideas may come from many sources and fabrication may be accomplished in coordination with other staff, exhibit developers drive the process of transforming exhibit ideas into interactive, physical form. Exhibit development at the Exploratorium emphasizes iterative prototyping and incorporates input from outside advisors, public visitors, and project team members including project directors, other exhibit developers, graphic designers, writers, scientists, and evaluators. Exhibit developers are also expected to collaborate on other types of experiences for visitors, including demonstrations and programs, to contribute to overall project and exhibition development, and to participate in developing proposals for new exhibits and exhibit areas.
- Execution: consistently deliver high-quality exhibit experiences across a number of projects under the direction of project leadership; pursue best practices in all areas of exhibit creation. Scope work within time and budget parameters. Meet project milestone and final deadlines.
- Idea generation: reliably produce a wide variety of compelling and engaging exhibit ideas.
- Iteration: observe visitors and work with evaluators to iterate prototypes based on feedback.
- Documentation: document exhibits and demos according to standards set by the shop and project leadership.
- Facilities Work/Institutional Support: contribute to general museum operations, including shop and/or lab maintenance, exhibit maintenance, material ordering and stocking, and equipment upkeep.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent combination of education and experience, preferably in art or science.
- Basic experience in wood, metal, and plastic fabrication; CAD drafting and hand sketching; prototyping and fabrication of exhibits, or the desire and ability to learn as needed.
- Experience applying user research or feedback in an iterative development process preferred.
- Experience exhibiting work in a public setting preferred.
- Comfort in taking direction and mentoring from senior shop staff, senior exhibit developers, graphics and editorial, and visitor research and evaluation.
- Strong interest in exhibit design and inquiry-based learning.
- Some experience in interpreting scientific content.
- Ability to collaborate as part of an effective team.
- Open-minded, able to fail and try again, observant and deeply curious.
- Familiarity with the Exploratorium exhibit collection is a plus.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds short distances. Able to move from place to place; bend, stretch, grasp, reach, kneel and twist.
Open until filled
HOW TO APPLY
This is a fixed-term (End date 6/30/21), full-time, union position that includes benefits. Please, no phone calls in regards to this job. To apply, please visit the Exploratorium job page.
The Exploratorium is committed to providing equal employment without regard to race, color, religious expression, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, ancestry, genetic information, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran’s status or any other class protected by applicable law.
The Exploratorium will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.