City Limits is a 44-year-old non-profit digital news outlet located in and focused on New York City. Its mission is to use investigative journalism through the prism of New York to identify urban problems, explore causes, evaluate solutions, and equip communities to take action.
We are seeking an Executive Director to help lead our organization’s growth.
Strong increase in audience and revenue has funded award-winning journalism, improved site design, targeted newsletters, adding original reporting in Spanish, acquiring Voices of New York from CCNY Journalism School, and greatly expanded the use of social media. In addition, we created and manage Clarify, a program to train teens in public service journalism.
Reporting to the Board of Trustees, the Executive Director will work closely with the Editor-in-Chief to establish strategic goals, manage overall operations, and maintain fiscal viability.
- Manage our diverse funding strategy: develop and steward major foundation grants; create mission-aligned partnerships, manage/expand advertising/event sponsorships including an annual gala and cultivate individual major donors.
- Direct branding, marketing, and communications to expand audience, increase newsletter subscribers, and individual memberships.
- Maintain our fiscal integrity by managing an annual audit, overseeing payroll, bookkeeping, payables/receivables, benefits management.
- With editor-in-chief develop/monitor annual budget subject to Board approval
- Board liaison: coordinate board schedule, provide regular timely updates to the Board on business side issues.
The successful candidate will have significant fund-raising experience; be supportive of City Limits’ mission and demonstrate administrative experience commensurate with the responsibilities of the position. In addition, a proven ability to work independently and as part of a small team devoted to high-quality journalism is necessary. The position will be located in New York City.
City Limits is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values a multicultural, diverse workforce. Applicants of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Email resume and expression of interest to the Board of Trustees at Jarrett@citylimits.org.