Food & Water Watch is a leading nonprofit running strategic campaigns to move America off fossil fuels, protect everyone’s right to safe drinking water, and challenge the corporate control of our food, water and democracy. Through online and field organizing we build the people power it takes to win real victories – including banning fracking in NY and MD, stopping corporate trade deals like the TPP, and banning the toxin arsenic from being used in chicken production. We are outspoken progressives who don’t accept any corporate or government funding in order to retain independence from the very corporations we challenge every day.
The Online Organizing Team uses innovative digital strategies to educate our base of more than a million supporters and mobilize them to engage on our critical campaigns. We work in close coordination with on-the-ground organizers to build a network of activists, pressure strategic campaign targets, fundraise, and build long term political power.
Our ideal candidate is a savvy digital strategist who is passionate about our issues and excited to get their hands on a large email program.
The position is full time and reports to the Online Organizing Director. This position can be located in Washington, DC, New Brunswick, NJ, Chicago, IL or Oakland, CA.
Food & Water Watch strives for a diverse work environment and encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and differently-abled people to apply.
- You’ll manage Food & Water Watch’s national email program – advising on campaign strategy for multiple national campaigns, and strategizing cross-channel communications.
- You’ll stay up-to-date on a diverse set of issues.
- You’ll quickly and concisely write and send advocacy and fundraising emails to respond to breaking news and campaign developments, highlighting Food & Water Watch’s strategic approach and identity.
- You’ll engage supporters by telling compelling stories and giving them unique opportunities to take meaningful action online and through our offline distributed organizing program.
- You’ll track, analyze and report back on email metrics and supporter feedback so that we can learn from our work and keep getting better – you’re at least a little bit of a numbers nerd.
- You’ll oversee the health of our email list and help manage our supporters’ user experience, including updating our welcome series, implementing deliverability best practices, running re-engagement campaigns and crafting a goodbye series.
- You’ll work with the team to identify and maximize opportunities to grow our list of online and offline supporters and our one time and monthly donors.
- You’ll help facilitate a strategic testing program and reinforce data driven decision making – remember, you’re kind of a numbers nerd.
- You’ll take on other duties as assigned – we’re a team and we all chip in to make sure we can win.
- At least three years experience in online organizing and/or online fundraising is required. Direct experience managing an email program is strongly preferred.
- Strong knowledge of digital best practices for non-profit online marketing, email messaging, online advocacy, and online fundraising is critical.
- Proficiency with eCRM systems and strong understanding of metrics, analytics, reporting tools and A/B testing. Experience with HTML and CSS is a strong plus.
- Tech-savvy – even if you don’t know every tool, we’re looking for someone who is eager to learn and can figure out new tools, run tests, and likes to experiment.
- Passion and commitment for the issues Food & Water Watch is tackling every day is a must. We have strong progressive values and we want to work with someone who is comfortable standing up to the establishment including Democrats that compromise on our issues. Previous experience with water, food, or public interest issues is a plus, but not a must.
- Familiarity with grassroots organizing and advocacy techniques.
- Excellent campaign style writing, including the ability to quickly condense information and convey it clearly and concisely. We’re building a movement and need someone who can rally the masses.
- Strong interpersonal and collaborative skills. Ability to work well with a wide variety of people (both technical and non-technical staff) and to coordinate diverse tasks. Excellent relationship-management skills. We’re looking for someone able to lead and be part of a team.
- Excellent ability to manage many projects at once with clear attention to detail. We need to be able to plan ahead, but also shift plans at a moments notice to respond rapidly to issues as they arise.
- Can-do attitude with ability to track down and solve problems – we don’t all know how to do everything, but we all like to figure things out.
- Sense of humor appreciated – we’re a pretty fun group.
- Long/irregular hours and travel possible.
- Salary $50,000-$70,000 – dependent on experience and location.
- 100% employer-paid health care, dental, vision, and long-term disability insurance.
- Three weeks paid vacation to start and three personal days.
- Food & Water Watch offices are closed for all federal holidays and an extra week at the end of December.
- Paid sick days.
- Family and Medical leave.
- 403(b) retirement plan with annual employer contribution after the first year on staff.
- Professional development opportunities on an ongoing basis.