Founded in 1989, Western Resource Advocates (WRA) is dedicated to protecting the West’s land, air, and water to ensure that vibrant communities exist in balance with nature. We use law, science, and economics to craft innovative solutions to the most pressing conservation issues in the region within three core program areas: Clean Energy, Healthy Rivers and Western Lands.
In the face of population growth and climate change, the Western United States needs a strong and effective advocacy voice at the regional level to address changes that are already underway and to steer the West towards a sustainable future. WRA has aggressive plans to tackle these challenges. We envision a future in the West where:
- Western rivers and lakes will have abundant clean water to support habitat for fish and wildlife, communities and agriculture, and world class recreational opportunities. The Colorado River will flow to the sea;
- Our homes, buildings and transportation systems will be powered by clean energy. The West will prosper in a zero-carbon economy;
- Half of western landscapes and habitat will be protected and connected to support thriving wildlife populations and unparalleled opportunities to enjoy the West’s natural beauty; and
- The West will have clean air and clean water to support healthy communities and vital habitat.
WRA seeks an experienced Email and Digital Marketing Specialist to be an essential part of our growing and dynamic Communications Team. Reporting to the Communications Director, the Email and Digital Marketing Specialist will be part of a three-person communications team working closely with WRA’s Development Team to cultivate our base of supporters, grow our email list, and ensure that our web site is an effective advocacy tool and continually updated. The Communications Team is responsible for increasing the visibility and leadership of WRA, helping support digital fundraising, growing our constituent base, and using engagement and marketing strategies to further our programmatic goals. The candidate should have two or more years of experience in email outreach for community engagement, email database management, and web site management and possess excellent writing and communication skills.
The position can be based in one of WRA’s offices in Boulder, Carson City, Salt Lake City, Santa Fe, or remotely in any Intermountain West state with easy access to a major airport.
Collaborate with a Team
- Collaborate with team members to provide sound strategic planning for building highly effective, metrics-based, fully integrated online/offline/multi-channel communication and fundraising campaigns to grow the organization and advance our conservation program efforts.
- Maintain a web and email engagement calendar in coordination with a larger multi-channel outreach calendar shared with a cross-departmental team.
- Provide content writing support for blogs, newsletters, and other needs.
Lead Email Engagement
- Lead email campaigns, identifying, creating and implementing the appropriate content strategies to enhance WRA’s campaign effectiveness, organizational power, brand identification, and thought leadership on clean energy, healthy rivers, clean air, and western lands issues.
- Create, implement and track online engagement strategies in coordination with the full communication team to engage our constituents, creating online petitions and other actions.
- Work across platforms with team members to identify and implement comprehensive constituent acquisition and engagement strategies, leading in acquisitions via website and email and managing all aspects of our CRM infrastructure (EveryAction).
- Execute online strategies for revenue and constituent growth in close collaboration with the fundraising team, including posting appeals, providing performance metrics and weaving efforts into outreach calendars.
- Lead analysis of A/B tests and email performance (open rates, click through, etc.). Conduct testing, derive insights, and convert data into actionable outreach efforts and continuous improvement of campaign results.
- Research new developments in digital online marketing to ensure that Western Resource Advocates uses the most innovative, affordable and appropriate strategies.
- Lead in maintaining the infrastructure/platform for email outreach and engagement, managing contracts, teaching other staff how to use the tools, and ensuring WRA maintains a high quality and affordable service.
- Lead in managing our outreach database, ensuring contact information is updated, crafting segmentation strategies, and ensuring high quality data is maintained.
- Track and report metrics on email engagement daily, monthly and quarterly to the Communication team and for staff and board reports.
Lead Website Outreach
- Create, publish, update, audit, and maintain content for the Western Resource Advocates website
- Design and implement changes to site layout, responsive designs, and content based on usability testing and website analytics.
- Coordinate with other staff to create content and copy editing to ensure compelling and accurate materials are posted almost daily.
- Collaborate with the development team to design and execute web strategies for revenue and constituent growth.
- Manage a technical web consultant to resolve technical challenges and create new designs, functions and pages.
- Track and report metrics on the websites’ performance to Communication Team and for Staff and Board reports.
- Ensure SEO best practices are being met.
General Communication Responsibilities
- Maintain a consistent voice and look throughout online properties, ensuring brand standards are followed.
- Complement and support other communication digital and offline initiatives working with the Communication team.
- Recruit and manage interns as desired to help support your individual work plan.
- Create compelling graphic content when needed to support the web and email outreach.
- Conduct trainings and coach the WRA staff or board on best practices for web content creation and email engagement.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in web and email management; understanding how to craft and execute engaging and effective digital engagement strategies across email and web;
- Experience growing an email list and implementing strategies for list growth and retention;
- Proficiency with Google Analytics;
- Proven experience with EveryAction or similar CRM;
- Experience with WordPress;
- Experience with Facebook, Twitter and other social media campaigns and how they integrate with web and email for multi-channel campaigns;
- Strong copywriting skills and writing for email calls to action, blogs, and other types of content;
- Experience with online fundraising via web and email;
- Excellent communication skills, understanding how to create communication approaches focused on target audiences, using compelling messaging, and focusing on desired outcomes;
- Strong self-motivation, time and project management, organizational and multitasking skills to deliver successful results on deadlines;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Strong proofreading skills;
- Must work well and collaboratively with a team;
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite;
- Genuine passion for the mission and work of WRA;
- Flexible and adaptable – able to quickly shift priorities and multi-task in a fast-paced environment; and
- Basic knowledge of HTML and CSS.
Preferred but not required:
Experience with Photoshop, InDesign, or similar graphics programs and ability to create compelling graphics
Salary and Benefits
Competitive salary based on relative experience. WRA’s excellent benefits package includes health, dental and vision coverage, a 401(k) retirement plan, life & disability insurance, 3-week paid vacation leave, sabbatical leave after five years, and an RTD EcoPass for staff based in the Boulder/Denver area. Position is full-time exempt.
Deadline to Apply: December 11, 2017
Western Resource Advocates is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or veteran status.