Distributed Organizing Manager, Digital Strategies
Come join Sierra Club to lead the development of our digital department’s distributed organizing strategy. We need you to help us develop an innovative and strategic distributed organizing program to empower activists across the country to engage in Sierra Club’s priority issues in their communities.
Candidates should have big ideas, experience in both online and offline organizing, be detail-oriented, and have a passion for testing and innovation. Sharp writing skills and interpersonal skills are a must, as this person will work with colleagues throughout the Sierra Club, volunteers, as well as coalition partners.
Since 2016, the Sierra Club has had a huge influx of new members, activists, and volunteers who want to work with us. The Distributed Organizing Manager will work with a counterpart from our field Organizing team and staff across departments to develop a distributed organizing program to provide resources and support for these new activists to engage locally in their communities.
The Distributed Organizing Manager directs Sierra Club’s digital distributed organizing work. Co-leads cross-departmental team to develop distributed organizing strategies and tactics, and implements the digital components of the plan to engage activists across the country in Sierra Club’s priority issues. The Manager uses Sierra Club’s CRM systems to test, assess results, build data files, and develop strategies. The Manager edits, writes, researches, and develops online web pages, action alerts, and texting campaigns; manages digital distributed organizing budget and works with vendors; and leads trainings for Sierra Club staff on digital distributed organizing technology and tactics.
- Leads strategy for digital distributed organizing work across various campaigns to resist congressional and administrative action that would adversely impact air, water, public lands, climate, and human health. Leads implementation of strategy through writing, editing, and production using online tools.
- Coordinates business requirements and collaborates with the Business Analyst, IT and Product Management to design, select, deploy, and manage a distributed organizing technology toolkit.
- Understands the intricacies of internal web and social media guidelines and structures of distributed organizing campaign communications to comply with restricted funding requirements.
- Participates in developing a strategy and implementing an integrated presence on existing social networking sites as well as campaign-specific web presence. Advises and trains digital staff on organizing, developing, and coordinating online email outreach, web-based advocacy, social media, mobile, distributed organizing, and online-to-offline integration of members and supporters.
- Recommends rapid response plans on priority issues by engaging Sierra Club’s network using distributed tools and tactics. Coordinates with Online Organizers to ensure other campaigns incorporate national messaging and strategy.
- Uses mobile tools, including broadcast SMS and peer-to-peer tools, to communicate with members and supporters to support various campaign activities. Trains and enables other digital and field staff to use these tools effectively in their work.
- Works across departments to plan and run experiments to test new and innovative distributed organizing strategies and tactics. Uses Club data systems to test, track and analyze results. Evaluates learnings to inform future strategies.
- Continually finds ways to identify and recruit/convert new supporters, reach new and diverse audiences online and get them involved and excited in online programs. Reaches out and engages online volunteers to win campaigns, build power and raise funds. Builds and cultivates distributed network of volunteer organizers to support Sierra Club initiatives and programs.
- Develops culturally competent distributed digital strategies to grow, engage, and support the work in frontline communities.
- Acts as a resource to Sierra Club staff across departments in advising and training on distributed organizing best practices. Travels to organize and coordinate training events, strategy sessions, field meetings, visibility events, or other large events and conferences as needed.
- Assists with the coordination of vendors as appropriate.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as directed.
Knowledge & Skills
- Three to five years’ experience in online organizing or campaigning
- Strong background in advocacy or political campaign organizing
- 1-2 years’ experience with distributed campaigns and technology, especially with peer to peer texting
- Proficient computer skills and prior experience or aptitude with internet applications
- including email, constituent relationship management or other related data systems, social networking systems and web applications
- Excellent writing and editing skills. Demonstrated skills in writing and production of online campaign materials. Good verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills and ability to work effectively in an action-oriented office
- Strong project management skills and experience leading diverse sets of stakeholders to align around strategies and plans
- Ability to work independently, cooperatively and effectively with public, staff and volunteers
This position is represented by a collective bargaining unit and is subject to the terms and conditions of the contract between Sierra Club and Sierra Employee Alliance.
The Sierra Club offers competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan.
This is a category 4 exempt position.
Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization. Sierra Club employees are not eligible to participate in the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program. Sierra Club does not sponsor H1B visas.
The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.
How To Apply
Please click here to apply.
*If you are applying for more than one position with us, please attach your job-specific cover letters in the ‘Attachments’ section