Director of Strategic Services
ThinkShout, a digital-first agency that primarily serves nonprofits and advocacy organizations—including leaders like the Southern Poverty Law Center, the Humane Society of the United States, the World Resources Institute, and Dēmos—seeks a Director of Strategic Services to lead our team, inspire our clients, and engage our community. Your strategic work and approach must be demonstrably rooted in anti-racist practices, and your experience, either lived or professional or both, should show a strong commitment to justice of all kinds.
Our Director of Strategic Services will focus heavily on team leadership, vision, management, and administration—which is where you’ll spend about 75 percent of your time. You’ll also conduct strategy work for some of our most complex clients—which will make up for the rest of your time. This position requires a dynamic leader who also loves to do the work. If you’re motivated by the success of your teammates and feel energized by the challenge of aligning individual staff skills with the needs of our larger team; if you’re excited to design and run discovery workshops with groups ranging from 5 to 50; if you thrive with context-switching from specific client work to company leadership; if you’re detail-oriented and constantly curious about how we might improve our strategic service offerings—ranging from strategy briefs to optimization plans to data privacy and personalization—then this might be the right role for you.
ThinkShout offers a community of welcoming and kind designers, strategists, developers, project managers, account managers, and executives who are committed to putting people and the planet first. We believe that your leadership on the director team and across the company will be crucial to our continued transformation to best serve our clients and the communities they represent.
What We’re Looking For
- An inspired, expert strategist who is as excited about managing the day- to- day needs of ThinkShout’s strategy team as they are about connecting with clients and community partners.
- An ability to vision, lead, mentor, and cultivate a small, highly experienced strategy team that is working across dozens of digital projects at a time.
- A proven ability to solve complex UX problems and the skills to deliver best-in-class strategic solutions.
- An instinct for innovation towards ThinkShout’s strategic offerings, especially with respect to how our clients execute and understand discovery work and building on new insights, applied information architecture, integrated engagement strategies, audience research, and analysis.
- Experience leading and executing strategic deliverables for multi-platform digital engagements with complex, sophisticated clients. This role also includes frequent client presentations and ongoing workshop facilitation (both in-person and digital) at critical moments of project lifecycles.
- A track record of building strong account relationships with key client partners alongside Account Managers and Project Managers.
- Experience applying emerging digital strategy approaches in innovative ways to solve nonprofit and mission-driven organizational needs.
- Comfort with ambiguity in the face of tight timelines and competing priorities and an ability to support your team in constantly prioritizing their own schedules and projects.
- Ease in establishing project partnerships with designers, project managers, and technologists to bring the strategic vision to life in design.
How You’ll Spend Your Time
- Leadership: You’ll set the vision, direction, and cadence for our strategy team’s day-to-day work and longterm goals. You’ll oversee the quality of our strategic service offerings for the company, represent our team during sales pitches, and partner with our director team to consistently move ThinkShout forward in our mission of building a curious, transparent, inclusive, optimistic, and compassionate company.
- Service Offerings: You’ll define, build, and maintain strategic service offerings for ThinkShout’s client work, which could include any strategy deliverable within a client’s ecosystem, eg, information architecture, full-stack content strategy, engagement models, audience research and analysis, communications strategies, brand strategy, and more.
- Management & Cultivation: You’ll pay close attention to what strategy team members need to be successful and provide crucial mentorship and guidance. You’ll celebrate growth and offer constructive feedback that is foundational to a trusting, transparent, and caring team.
- Innovation: You’ll identify areas of growth that best serve our clients and agency goals and ensure that we are skilled and staffed to fulfill those needs.
- Client Work: This role will mostly focus on team, company, and community leadership, but you’ll also lead strategy for select clients and support our team on production work when necessary.
- Community Engagement: You’ll build ThinkShout’s strategic voice beyond the boundaries of our company, presenting at conferences, engaging in community events, and developing relationships with other thought leaders who are leading with anti-racist practices and working to put people and the planet first.
The Fine Print
Our home office is in Portland, OR. Due to COVID-19, at this time our office will remain closed at least through the rest of 2020 and our entire team is working remotely. Candidates from outside of Portland, OR are welcome to apply. We have a strong focus on work/life balance with a flexible office hours policy.
The salary band for this position is $103-123k. In addition, we offer a comprehensive benefits package, including:
- Monthly allowance of $200 to spend on business expenses (including meals and treats!) during the COVID-19 office closure.
- Health insurance with dental, vision, and alternative care
- Company funded Health Reimbursement Account
- Matching 401k
- Life insurance and short term disability insurance
- Paid Family and Medical Leave
- 31 days of PTO annually, including holidays
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of service
- Professional development funds
ThinkShout is committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion. A diverse workplace strengthens the work of all employees, ensures that the organization has the strongest staff possible, and enables all employees to collectively and more completely pursue the fulfillment of our mission, vision, and values. ThinkShout is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all individuals.
How to Apply
Please apply at: https://thinkshout.com/careers/
Please submit a resume (no more than 2 pages) in PDF format and if applicable, include links to your online presence, portfolio, or personal website. We request that you do not submit a cover letter. In its place, we have a few questions for you to answer in the job application.