Director of Philanthropy CRM
The Trust for Public Land
The Trust for Public Land – a national leader and innovator in land conservation and parks creation – seeks a new Director of Philanthropy CRM. Since 1972, The Trust for Public Land has connected communities to the outdoors and to each other. Today, millions of Americans live close to a park or natural area created by The Trust for Public Land, and countless more visit each year. From neighborhood parks to national parks, the organization has completed more than 5,000 projects, protected more than 3.5 million acres of land, helped to secure over 70 billion dollars of public funds for land protection and park creation, and inspired cities and towns nationwide to work to create a park or open space within a 10-minute walk of all their residents.
Join a diverse team of dedicated and passionate people working toward a mission you can believe in—creating parks and protecting land for people, ensuring healthy, livable communities for generations to come. Headquartered in San Francisco, The Trust for Public Land maintains offices in more than 30 locations nationwide. Get to know more about us.
Reporting to the Director of Philanthropy Operations, the Director of Philanthropy CRM (CRM Director) is responsible for the system administration, data architecture, user support, and reporting of the Constituent Relationship Management system (ClearView CRM). The CRM Director, along with two direct reports, provides strategic support and solutions that leverage The Trust for Public Land’s information, technology, business processes, and people for the entire Philanthropy department of about 95 individuals located in 20 offices throughout the U.S., and the organization at large.
The CRM Director will support the Philanthropy Operations Director’s overall vision for ensuring that Philanthropy staff have the support resources they need to realize their goals. The CRM Director will ensure that the needs of Philanthropy staff are met, that policies and procedures are up-to-date and documented, that the CRM team maintains quick response times, and that projects are completed in a timely, accurate, and easily understood manner. This position directs and participates in end-user support functions including training, report generation, and service desk operations. In addition, the CRM Director participates in overseeing the processing and reporting on all gifts to The Trust for Public Land.
Both the CRM team and the larger Philanthropy Operations team are distributed across several different cities nationwide. The CRM Director may be located anywhere in the U.S.
- Act with integrity, honesty, and knowledge that promote the culture, values, and mission of The Trust for Public Land;
- Maintain a calm demeanor during periods of high volume or unusual events;
- Anticipate the needs of teammates and colleagues by constantly evaluating those individuals and the environment for cues;
- Deliver outstanding service to teammates and colleagues;
- Perform, and ensure teammates perform, data-centric tasks at a very high level of quality;
- Approach job functions and teammates with the flexibility to rapidly adjust and to address competing priorities;
- Manage many simultaneous competing priorities and resolve them to deliver optimal outcomes;
- Define needs, design solutions, and deliver desirable outcomes in a timely manner.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Outstanding leadership, team management, and project management knowledge and capabilities are required;
- Advanced CRM administration expertise required;
- Adept attention to detail and highly organized;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Ability to learn quickly;
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions and request clarification when needed;
- Superior oral and written communication skills, including writing for and presenting to diverse audiences;
- Capable of working both independently and as part of a team;
- Able to adapt constructively to rapidly changing dynamics and priorities;
- Experience collaborating with and managing vendors and consultants;
- Pre-hire proficiency required in Microsoft Windows & Office and G Suite;
- Proficiency required, with post-hire training as needed, in ClearView CRM, PledgeMaker, Crystal Reports, Jira & Jira Service Desk, and advanced Excel skills.
Director of Philanthropy CRM
- Working collaboratively with the Director and Associate Director of Philanthropy Operations, ensure the CRM team’s priorities are in alignment with the Philanthropy Operations group, Philanthropy department, and overall organizational priorities;
- Coordinate team members, system administration, data architecture, user support, and reporting to maximize Philanthropy support of The Trust for Public Land and its mission;
- Help craft and implement the strategic plan and manage the budget for Philanthropy CRM;
- Participate in educating Philanthropy staff and the organization at large on Philanthropy Operations best practices and trends;
- Along with the Director and Associate Director of Philanthropy Operations, be a leader in building and maintaining a collaborative, cohesive, productive Operations team, fostering a pleasant and appealing work environment.
- Serve as the system administrator and data architect for the Philanthropy CRM and auxiliary systems and data;
- Oversee information moving in and out of the Philanthropy CRM, including designing business rules or procedures for imports and administering exports or automated procedures for integrations with other systems;
- Maximize the potential of systems and information to increase Philanthropy support of The Trust for Public Land and its mission;
- Assess systems and processes and recommend enhancements to ensure Philanthropy systems support TPL’s short-term and long-term goals;
Director of CRM Team
- Be a leader in fostering an environment of continual improvement and achievement;
- Ensure team members accountability for excellence with clearly defined, measurable goals;
- Celebrate current achievements and set clear expectations for future success;
- Mentor and guide team members to pursue and execute best practices;
- Resolve any elevated service issues in a timely and effective manner.
User Training, Support, and Service Desk
- Develop, direct, and participate in user training and ongoing support;
- Ensure the Philanthropy Service Desk (Jira) is operating optimally.
Data Analysis, Visualizations and Other Special Projects
- Lead efforts around special projects assigned to Philanthropy CRM, including analytics projects, consultant’s data needs, or other priorities that arise;
- Produce data visualizations using Excel, PowerPoint, and various other BI tools;
- Demonstrated stand-out management and leadership experience in a decentralized organization;
- Minimum of 5 years experience administering a CRM for fundraising at a nonprofit organization;
- Minimum of 5 years of management and supervisory experience, including team-building and training principles and techniques;
- Experience successfully implementing policies and best practice procedures in a regionally distributed organization;
- Preference for experience with:
- SQL, ClearView CRM/PledgeMaker, Crystal Reports, and Jaspersoft BI
- a service desk/issue tracking system (like Jira)
We know there are great candidates who won’t fit everything we’ve described above, or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
The Trust for Public Land is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages diversity in the workplace. We welcome people of all backgrounds and seek to foster a culture of respect, openness, learning, integrity.
How to Apply
Please go to www.tpl.org/jobs